LFS said start over?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RHCPeppers85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was a LFS today, and I asked them about status of my tank...
I am doing a fishless cycle, and my tank can 'digest' 5ppm to 0 in about 12-18 hrs...
My Nitrites are still unreadable (too high), and nitrates are climbing... At about 80 now.
Ph is 7.8
I started the tank about 9 days ago.

I have had brown algae everywhere for 4-5 days or so and starting yesterday, water seems to have some kind of particles floating around...

In an effort to bring down the nitrites and trates, I have been doing 10 gal changes daily since Friday and 'trites are still off the scale....

Because of the rate at which the trates are climbing, I'm pretty confident that I will be done cycling soon... So why would LFS say to stop changing water, and just start over after deep cleaning? They want me to start over, and add a couple of danios on day 1? Who's crazy, me or them.

yep.. them.

Try to get the nitrites down though. If its too high it will overwhelm the BB that feeds on it and your cycle will stall. Only dose your tank to 4ppm every other day for now. This way your ammonia BB are still getting fed. You said youre doing 10gallon PWCs everyday, but without knowing how big the tank its, its difficult to say if that is enough or not. Im not sure what your life schedule is, but if possible try and do a 50% PWC everyday until your nitrites are readable and around 1-2ppm. Make sure you do the PWC before you dose the ammonia, or you'll just be wasting ammonia.

Stop lying, your full of it!

That's what you should tell your lfs (got you didn't I?!)
You are almost cycled, just get your trites under 5pppm

Thanks guys... I don't know I started doubting everyone I read here and other forums....

Those LFS guys had me second guessing on the whole fish less cycle process...none I have spoken to IRL has supported it....

Tank 30 gallons by the way..

Anyway. I get back from the store, test the water, and guess what...

Ph: 7.6
Ammo: 0
Trites: 0
Trates: 20-40 (couldn't tell)

I changed out another 10 gall, and now trades are <20...

If I had followed my instincts, I would have brought home my ottos to start working on all these diatom blooms (not a pandemic, just not too pretty)....

Now my tank will be all alone for yet another day.... BUT IM SO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW.... I FEEL A NEW HOBBY/ADDICTION SETTING IN!!

Thanks to all who gave me help

Back
Top Bottom