Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txlewis4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of cycling a 29 Gallon unplanted tank but was wondering what I should do about lights, if anything. The tank sits on a wall between two windows that face west and the blinds on these windows are open So should I purchase a hood light? I am also curious about underwater lights. :confused:

I would purchase a hood light. I must say though, Having a tank by the windows is going to make bad algae problems. That being said, I might want to move the tank away from the window so that the algae wont start growing.

I would purchase a hood light. I must say though, Having a tank by the windows is going to make bad algae problems. That being said, I might want to move the tank away from the window so that the algae wont start growing.

I would LOVE to move it but unfortunately (for now) this is the only "safe" place downstairs. I have two very active boys, 2 and 3 1/2. :crazyeyes:

You could also get a pleco, though I'm sure you've thought of that. Bristlenose plecos tend to stay pretty small, I've got two of them in my 30 gallon tank and they're both happy, and my tank is clean (and also by a window). Still, I agree with tyspot1000, getting a hood light would be best. Though if you want something cool you could try the 'actinic blue' lights. They're basically black lights for the fish tank, and you can use them exclusively without any harm to the fish.
If you have live plants, you may want to supplement their light from the windows using a bulb within the correct spectrum, that really depends on whether you think they get enough light to thrive or not through the windows.
And if you don't have live plants, then you don't really need any special lighting. But you should still get some sort of hood light, just to help emulate daylight better for the fishies.

Back
Top Bottom