Lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankkeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw a really cool tank on craigslist with really cool lights, so I contacted the seller and they told me the brand was Deep Blue Aquamax. I looked this brand up and found the light I was looking but they are offered in salt and freshwater. What is the difference? I want the saltwater but I would have a freshwater tank. Would this be safe?
Here is the link if needed-
http://store.seacorals.net/deblsohe2do31.html

All I know is saltwater light fixtures are generally higher light than freshwater. Not sure but I think they may promote algae growth in freshwater. It may be possible to put different bulbs more suited to freshwater. But again I'm not sure. The intensity of the light may be a problem for freshwater fish. Sorry, I'm not very sure of anything where lights are concerned. But there are some on here who are more knowledgeable. Hopefully one of them will see this.

Hholly you are correct. I bought a 29 biocube and set it up for fresh about 3 months ago, algae algae algae! It has lights that are more suitable for salt and I'm replacing them in the next few days.

You can use it. I had the solarmax Xtreme 4 bulb t5 HO fixture. With ATI bulbs. Nothing bad happened, only thing was the tank looked sick.

This is the tank last Xmas. I only had the actinics on to match the tree. Never had an algae issue. Also before I had gotten the canopy.

image-2285362982.jpg

You can use that fixture. It's fine. With any light, I wouldn't keep them on for 12-16 hours. It's freshwater with no plants? No light is really needed at all. Even when I had 40+ Anubias my lights were only on for about 6 hours a day (with the solarmax)

Now I have the marineland double brights and they come on at 3:30pm and off at 9:30pm. The time I'm home from work and enough so I can relax and view them.

Now the marineland light this past Xmas

image-1710876965.jpg

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom