Lighting a 10g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captotterboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
One more than I am done for a while. I promise

After a talk with sinibotia I realized the lighting hood I was going to use was not powerful enough. He suggested a finnex stingray and I still may go that route. It is just on/off? Does it have a night setting? Does it have a timer? Etc

What other hoods/lights are out there that people like that have the above features if the stingray does not?

Finnex specs will be on Amazon under product description. That may answer all your specific questions. I'm sure the Finnex site would help too as they make a few models.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would go for the 24/7. Has way more options/functions than a stingray. I mean, sure the stingray isn't even close to the price of a 24/7, but still. Stingray is good though if you got hat route, have the clip light on my 5.5 and it works like a charm.

Not sure if you're still looking for answers on the Finnex Stingray, but I just got the 16" model about 3 weeks ago. It's a nice light - shows the tank's colors off nicely and is good for growing plants. Lightweight and works well with a light timer. However, I keep mostly low-tech, slow-growing plants, so I had to fiddle around with light height and nutrients balance in order to keep algae growth down.

Ok I'm the cheapskate here.
I have a heavily planted 10g.
I started with the cheapest incandescent kit from Petsmart.
I swapped bulbs to Two 10watt mini CFLs ( U shaped).

I grew a ton of plants without CO2 including Myriophyllum mattagrossense (sp?)

LEDs will last a long time. But don't overdo the lighting if you aren't doing CO2.

I have a clip on Archaea LED fixture on my rimless 10g. PAR was almost exactly same as my mini CFLs.

1b8c34b7013192835eb06f8af0536930.jpg

My tank morphs

03994a5334aa1f105cf5a10c326596de.jpg

424b088bacfea0c6e0ee5ea0f27a0114.jpg

Excuse the music
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Someday I may update the lighting.

This is my LED. But it's older and they only used white and blue...so a little cold looking

6b8a34bb4801f8f3324474fe81d63df9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom