Lighting for Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrutusPleco

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just transferred my two common plecos, two dojo loaches and two upside down catfish from a 36 gal. to a 75 gallon tank. They all love the extra room!:D The lighting fixture in the new tank is much brighter than the one in the old tank. All my fish tend to like the dark side of life!!:-D Any suggestions as to what wattage and type of bulb I should get? The light bulb on the new is All-Aquarium 32 watt. thank you for any help you can give!!

32 watts on a 75 is still not a lot of light. I can't imagine that little light would bother the fish. I'd make sure they have caves of rocks or driftwood that they can hide in if they feel the need to, but otherwise I wouldn't worry. The other issue is that if the fixture on the 75 is a fluorescent strip light, you can't just put a bulb with different wattage in, as the wattage is related to the length of the bulb. You'd have to get a new fixture with a shorter bulb.

Every pleco or catfish I owned seemed to not mind the light. They were all over the place in the light. The only time they went for cover was when me or somebody else approached the tank too quickly. For guys who seem to prefer the dark their daytime vision is unbelievable. :scrambleup:

Back
Top Bottom