Lighting noob question ha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im wondering if its ok to just turn my light on at any point of the day? Ive recently only turned my light on when its time to feed but id like to be able to turn it on whenever i want to check my fish out. I dont want to turn the light on and have my fish think that its time to feed when actually im just trying to look at them...

You can turn it on whenever you like. Fish will always act hungry, that's just fish lol I'd be more concerned with messing up their day/night cycle if the lights are constantly turned on and off at random times. You might want to invest in a light timer for aquariums, so you can have the lights come on and turn off when you want (even if you're not at home), so it'll give you some viewing time and it'll be more consistent for the fish.

So im wondering if its ok to just turn my light on at any point of the day? Ive recently only turned my light on when its time to feed but id like to be able to turn it on whenever i want to check my fish out. I dont want to turn the light on and have my fish think that its time to feed when actually im just trying to look at them...

Why not put them on a timer? It's good IMO to give them a good schedule. I have mine come on at a certain time everyday, they come on after the sun comes up and the house has been well lit by natural light and household lighting, TV, lights etc. this way it gives the fish time to get use to the light and its not one huge shock when blasted my the tank lights. Imagine your in a room laying down and someone blasts you in the face with a flashlight. Probably not the most pleasant thing.

Also, have them go off at the same time every night. This will let them adjust and they won't think lights on will only mean feeding time.

Just a thought. A timer can cost about 4-8 bucks maybe even less. On and off. Set it and forget it :)

A timer is necessary, but you can get the same effect without it. What I will do when I put fish in my tank is turn the lights before I go to school (6:30) and back off after I get home (5:00). The lights should be on about 10 hours a day.

Yeah i always feed/turn on the light at the same time every evening but yeah i really should invest in a timer especially if its under 10 bucks. Ive only had my tetras in the tank for about a weak(ive had other fish in it before) but if i go out and by the timer and set it for certain times then i should be fine correct? Thanks for the info

wow really?? that seems like a really long time. I have already had a issue with these ugly annoying snails and i have heard they come around when theres either to much light or over feeding so i basically cut both down. I probally have my light on for maybe 3 hours a day. from when i feed them (6:00p.m - 9:00pm) then its lights out.

I use Marineland LED lights, on a timer. They have have moon lighting, so in the am, the timer turns the blue lights on , then I switch the lights over before leaving for work to white lights, leave them on all day, when I come home , I switch it to blue LED moon lighting again, then they shut off at 9pm on a timer

Its simple Pavlovian conditioning. Like the dog that salivates when you ring a bell, the fish suddenly "remember" how hungry they are when the light comes on. The dog will get over it if he's not fed every time he hears a bell, and the fish will get over it too. If it does bother you, you can feed your fish midday when the light has been on for a while so that they don't expect food when lights come on.

A timer is necessary, but you can get the same effect without it. What I will do when I put fish in my tank is turn the lights before I go to school (6:30) and back off after I get home (5:00). The lights should be on about 10 hours a day.

This post confused me... Sorry. Same effect without a timer? How? Same time everyday without any fluctuation can be achieved without a timer?

Also lights shouldn't be on for 10 hours IMO. Nothing other then fish then you don't even need lights. Lights are for us to view out fish. My lights go on (with a timer) at 3:30pm everyday, they go off at 9:30pm.

They come on just when I'm coming home from work. Nobody home during the day so no reason for the lighting to be on. Natural light will suffice. When I'm putting my son to sleep and unwinding from the day I'll have a little time to view the tank.

In bed, no reason for the light to be on.

Set it and forget it. Just my opinion a timer would be much easier in the long run.

Last edited:
I guess my buddy had an extra timer so I'm just gonna use that. Thanks everyone for there input I appreciate it.

This post confused me... Sorry. Same effect without a timer? How? Same time everyday without any fluctuation can be achieved without a timer?

Also lights shouldn't be on for 10 hours IMO. Nothing other then fish then you don't even need lights. Lights are for us to view out fish. My lights go on (with a timer) at 3:30pm everyday, they go off at 9:30pm.

They come on just when I'm coming home from work. Nobody home during the day so no reason for the lighting to be on. Natural light will suffice. When I'm putting my son to sleep and unwinding from the day I'll have a little time to view the tank.

In bed, no reason for the light to be on.

Set it and forget it. Just my opinion a timer would be much easier in the long run.
sorry, i meant a timer isnt necessary, but you can get a similar effect without one. Just turn the light on when you leave for school/work/whatever, then turn it on maybe when you come back. i leave for school at 630, so i would turn mine on then, then off at about 3 or 4. about 9 hours.

I enjoy the convenience of a timer because it allows the light to turn on when I'm not there, lengthening the time I get to enjoy with my lit tank when I am home.

Back
Top Bottom