Lighting requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEATTLEWINTER

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im just setting up a 125 gallon acrylic tank 60x18x24, just going to be freshwater fish only, plastic plants, how much light do i need, i have 2 spaces for about 24inch lighting, any recommendations on lights also.

Thanks

JW

Acticinic bulbs should let the colors of your fish come out well. They provide a bluer light than natural sunlight, which is what you don't need as you don't want a whole lot of algae and are not growing plants. This is not a full proof measure against algae, but it's a decent choice for lighting.

That depends on what fish you want to keep. Regular flourescent lights should be fine. If you're looking at fish such as African Cichlids, Actinics would be beautiful.

fancy goldfish and a few guppys , would 2x65w power compacts be too much?

IMO FW fish do not require lighting except to see your fish. The only times I need to light my FW is at feeding time or to observe my fish. I use 2 20 watt aquarium bulbs on my 180 GAL. They work just fine.

IME FW fish coloration is more vibrant when given proper lighting on a regular basis. I notice when I turn on my lights on the 55, the noses on my True Rummies are not red. After about an hour or so they are the vibrant red color. Same with my Angels. They DO need light, but if it's not planted you don't need to go overboard, standard stock lighting is fine.

So under 1W per gallon is fine then for that size tank, would appreciate figures rather than suggestions of standard lighting, thanks for all your input though.\

Regards

JW

Yes under 1 wpg is fine. What is meant by regular lighting, is the lights that normally comes in the standard hood for whatever size tank you have. A I would suggest a timer to have the lights on 8-10 hours a day. Fish appreciate a regular cycle.

Yes, turn the lights to watch your fish. I'm sure they will be fine. Unless you are growing live plants or want a red noses on your Rummies. IMO standard fluorescents are better than incandescents for a more natural color.

Rich is correct. By standard lighting it's the usual flourescent fixture that comes with the tank. Not getting into CFs or MH.

Back
Top Bottom