Little ammonia No Nitrite 2+months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thx. I’ll do that. Any insight as to why I’m not getting it cycled?
Should I clean the algae etc off the substrate, rock decorations, or tank sides or leave it?
Should I replace my filter cartridge or leave it? It doesn’t look bad but it’s been in there since I re-started the tank a couple months ago.
We’re all frustrated and and not sure how much longer to keep trying.
Thanks for all your help!

Keep going, fish in cycling is still a challenge, but once it's up and running it will be much easier.

I've been where you are a few times recently, but regular water changes and daily testing will help. They are time consuming but a proper cycled tank is worth it!

Reading the thread I think you crashed the cycle, but it's positive that the fish are all doing okay. The cycle will come round.

Thank you for the advice! I’m still going and the rasboras appear happy and healthy.
My ammonia has stayed at around .25ppm for about a week. No nitrites. I’m going to do a 20% water change today. I keep testing daily hoping to see nitrites/nitrates.
Out of curiosity, what situations can crash a cycle?
Thanks!, Rob

How often are you doing water changes now to keep it at the ammonia you are seeing? I would let the ammonia get higher than 0.25ppm. Water change at 0.5ppm see how long it takes to get to that level (if it does).

Test some bottled water which should be 0ppm ammonia and compare with your tank water test. 0ppm ammonia can sometimes look like 0.25ppm.

Are you still seeing no nitrate? I would check to see you are doing the test correctly. Gotta shake the heck out of bottle #2. If that still shows 0ppm i would get a 2nd opinion. Maybe take some water to the fish store and ask them to do a test for you.

Things like over cleaning substrate and filters can crash a cycle. Not using water conditioner will also (but this will also kill your fish).

I have nitrates. I’ll attach a photo. To be honest I’ve been only testing ammonia and nitrites regularly and waiting for ammonia to read 0ppm. I had been doing daily water changes, 20-50% depending of ammonia levels, but the ammonia has been stable at .25ppm for about a week and I was trying to let the tank go a bit to try and speed up the cycling. It may have already been cycled. I’m tentatively very excited. I’ll do your ammonia test but thought it had to be zero.
Thanks for the help!

Pic

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 50FDB2AE-9A74-4DE0-AC7E-DA4EC427DE64.jpg
    50FDB2AE-9A74-4DE0-AC7E-DA4EC427DE64.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 8
If your ammonia is essentially at 0, no nitrites, nitrates showing up, i would say you are cycled enough to add a few fish.

Do you still have the 3 rasboras? Maybe add a couple more or one of the loaches you planned.

You might start seeing ammonia and nitrite again until your cycle catches up, but thats part and parcel of a fishless cycle. As previously do a water change if ammonia/nitrite gets too elevated.

I have 6 rasboras and several small snails that came in on a plant.
Loach next?
Eventually I’d like to add a Dwarf Gourami.
Thanks!

Update: tanks doing well and our fish and new Gourami are happy.
Thanks again for all the amazing assistance and insight from everyone!

Back
Top Bottom