Live sand and freshwater (changing from saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heartsx2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a saltwater tank set up and I am switching to freshwater. I currently have live argonite sand in the tank. If I clean this well (removing the salt) can I use it in a freshwater tank? It cost a LOT and is very pretty. If I can use it, would it be okay for all types of freshwater fish? Thanks :)

Argonite will raise you kh and ph. It really only works with African cichlids. With most other Fw fish it is not a good choice as a substrate.

Just thinking out loud because I'm new to the SW end.

But I'm thinking the argonite substrate will drive the PH up....perhaps uncomfortably so for most FW fish.

I'm not saying most FW fish can not tolerate it,but acclimation of new fish will be a bear imo.

My advice...buy pool filter sand.Its cheap and looks pretty good too.(gota wash it too)

It depends on what your pH is to start with. If it is already 8.0, then the sand won't change it much (equilibrium pH for carbonates is around 8.2).

It is possible to acclimatize most FW fish to higher pH, as long as it is stable. But if you don't have to, why bother.

Back
Top Bottom