Log for 10g fish-in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheJT said:
Day 21:

Can we say Nitrite spike? Yes we can!

Ammo 0 (is it ok to stop testing this everyday?)
Nitrite 2.0 ( spike :p)
Nitrate 20 ppm

Woo hoo. How long does it take to complete the nitrite part of the cycle?

About the same as the ammonia part. It's a very dangerous time...so stay on top of it as you have been doing :). 2.0 is silly high, but I'm sure you've already done a pwc.

Day 22:

Ok. Today's readings have confused me and I'm certain I did them right.

Ammo .25
Nitrites .25
Nitrates 5 ppm

Is there any reason? Or is the nitrite spike only 2-3 days long?

Day 22:

Ok. Today's readings have confused me and I'm certain I did them right.

Ammo .25
Nitrites .25
Nitrates 5 ppm

Is there any reason? Or is the nitrite spike only 2-3 days long?

Hm, not sure. How long ago did you do a pwc before this latest test? It could be the nitrites haven't had time to climb yet after the pwc. Either that or you have some really good conversion going on. I guess the only thing to do is wait and see what another test shows.

Ok. Didn't post yesterday's results so I will now.

Day 23:
Ammo 0
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 10-20 ppm

1 75% PWC and 1 50% PWC.

Day 24:
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 ppm

Umm. Am I cycled?

If it's zero ammo and zero nitrItes...I'd let it sit and watch what it does over the next few days. That's how we'll tell if you're fully cycled :)

Day 25:

Ammo 0
Nitrite. not 0 but not .25 still blue but a darker blue (remember it's been 48 hrs since a water change).
Nitrate 5-10 ppm

Any consensus here? My guess is: keep on keepin on. ;)

Looks like you're very close. Just keep testing daily and doing a water change if nitrite or ammonia reads 0.25 or over.

I agree :). You really did handle this like a pro and did a fantastic job. If only we could convince people to be as responsible and committed as you've been, fish-in cycling wouldn't be such a big deal. However, I'm sure you didn't love all those pwc's.

I can't remember you tank size or if you plan on stocking more fish...but personally I'd wait a week (still testing during that time), and add a few more fish if you want after that time. As long as you stock very slowly...I don't think you'll experience large toxin spikes if you see them at all.

Seriously, you did a great job and you're a fantastic example to other members :)

Thank you. The tank is a 10 gallon and yes I will prolly add a couple more fish but I will wait. I really wanted to maintain the integrity of this set up so this could be used as a typical guide of what one can expect with a fish in cycle. Even being religious about the testing and water changes you are going to lose some fish. I really appreciate all the advice and support. Now to get the 55 gallon ready :)

Congrats Jt, I've been trying to get my 10 gallon cycled since June 1st and still have no sign of Nitrites or Nitrates. Ammonia level is @ 0.50 and I've lost 2 Yellow Guppies. One I blame on it already being sick from petco and the other from not being a hardy fish to tolerate any ammonia :/ He died today by the way. So far the Neon Tetras still school and act cool during these past 2 months.

I did use Seachem Stability as directed when I FIRST started the 10 gallon, does anyone know if that permanently killed my tank from cycling or just a delay?

First off, sorry bout the guppies. I hate losing fish. I realized this too late. A fish in cycle is a sure fire way to lose fish. I am not familiar with the stability. From what I have read the only chem that should ever be added to a "healthy tank" is the dechlorinator. Prime is what's recommended because it will detoxify ammo and nitrites for about 24 hrs. As far as having killed the cycle, the only sure fire way to kill a cycle (from what I've read) is to starve it by giving it no ammo to feed on. Plus, the other thing to remember is that I got an old nasty filter from my lfs. It seeded my tank. I'm positive that it shorten the cycle somewhat. So my inexperienced but well read advice is to keep on. Test daily and let those tests dictate your pwc's. Be fanatical about it. Ensure those water changes happen daily. And be religious about testing. Consistency is one of the best pieces of advice I can give. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom