Log for cycling my 55g tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for sharing your logs with us. I am a newbie and learning a lot.

I want to try "seeding" my new 55 set-up like you did. Can you send me a link or phone number for where you got your seeded filter?

Thanks for sharing your logs with us. I am a newbie and learning a lot.

I want to try "seeding" my new 55 set-up like you did. Can you send me a link or phone number for where you got your seeded filter?

You are welcome. :) AngelsPlus.com is where many people get the seeded sponge. I bought the 4" active Black 20 PPI sponge

I went to the AnglesPlus website and found what I need. I actually talked to Steve on the phone and he encouraged me not to order till tomorrow so the active filter won't be in transit any extra time. What a nice guy!! He explained that I Just need a simple standard airtube to run through it. I have to get that anyway!

thanks for responsding so quickly.

LOG: Day 12

Here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 1-2ppm (I think, I'm having a horrible time with these colors)
Nitrites: .25ppm maybe, maybe not
Nitrates: 0
pH: didn't test

I'm not going to re-dose the ammonia because I just can't tell what level I'm at. Going to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

LOG: Day 15

Here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 3-4ppm (I think I was seeing things before)
Nitrites: < .25ppm
Nitrates: 0

So, I had pulled out a filter from my 75g tank and placed it in my 5g tank to help it cycle. Well it did. So I dropped it into the 55g to see if it will help over there and also to see if the 5g stops processing ammonia without it.

LOG: Day 16

Here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrites: didn't test
Nitrates: didn't test

So interesting I put that filter in there and it did gobble up a bunch of ammonia. The 5g that I took it out of and re-dosed, had no movement with the filter out. So that filter must have a bunch of BB in it. Maybe I'll cut it up and place some in each filter system.

Clearly though I'm not getting the response from this sponge filter that I got with the one in my 20g. No surprise given the condition it was in when it arrived. :banghead:

LOG: Day 16

Here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrites: didn't test
Nitrates: didn't test

So interesting I put that filter in there and it did gobble up a bunch of ammonia. The 5g that I took it out of and re-dosed, had no movement with the filter out. So that filter must have a bunch of BB in it. Maybe I'll cut it up and place some in each filter system.

Clearly though I'm not getting the response from this sponge filter that I got with the one in my 20g. No surprise given the condition it was in when it arrived. :banghead:

You have some movement, that's good! Hang in there! At least you have other tanks to look at while you wait ;)

You could take some gravel out of one of your established tanks. Then put the gravel in a new nylon stocking and drop it in the tank you are cycling.

I took the extra filter I've been moving around and cut it up. Put half in the top of each of the canisters in the NEXX filter system on the 55g.

I'm not in a hurry but I did think it was interesting that the sponge filter is not having near the impact it did on the other tank.

I want people to understand that those sponges aren't the cure-all. I think I just happened to get a really loaded one the first time around.

I'm glad I decided to wait and see how the 5g reacted. I was going to put a Beta in there but I wanted to make sure the tank filter system could handle the load, obviously it isn't ready yet.

LOG: Day 17

Here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm

Going to re-dose the ammonia again. It will be interesting to see if ammonia keeps getting converted without much no2 and no3 showing up. The 75g tank almost always tests at 0 ammonia and 0 no2 and very little to no no3.

LOG: Day 17

Here are the numbers:

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm

Going to re-dose the ammonia again. It will be interesting to see if ammonia keeps getting converted without much no2 and no3 showing up. The 75g tank almost always tests at 0 ammonia and 0 no2 and very little to no no3.

That's interesting, I have same issue (that purple tube sure is elusive). Your ammonia is dropping faster than mine though, you dropped 1 whole ppm in one day, I can only drop .5 so far. I guess you did get extremely lucky with the first seeded sponge! Good thing you're careful and responsible! Your tank will cycle, hang in there!

Absolutely, it fascinates me that each tank I have is behaving in a completely different manner, chemically. And remember I put a very used filter into my NEXX canister system. If that wasn't in there I'm sure there would be no movement yet.

I want people to understand that those sponges aren't the cure-all. I think I just happened to get a really loaded one the first time around.

Noted. When I ordered one this AM from the same supplier you used, I mentioned I would be reviewing it on this forum so hopefully I'll get a nice dirty one and have your original luck!:)

Very sly

Noted. When I ordered one this AM from the same supplier you used, I mentioned I would be reviewing it on this forum so hopefully I'll get a nice dirty one and have your original luck!:)
Let us know if mentioning this forum helped! Great idea

Back
Top Bottom