Longest fishless cycle ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling 2 tanks. One I started on Feb 4, the second on Feb 10. It took about 10 days before I saw any nitrite and now my nitrite level has been 5+ for atleast 3 weeks, if not more. (Sure wish I had kept a log book). One tank now has tons of nitrate.. the other tank has some, but not as much. Amonia falls to 0 in about 12 hours. Any guesses on how much longer this will take? I'm so sick of looking at empty tanks.

3 weeks with high nitrites is to much.
IMO you should do a major water change to knock down the nitrites, around 75% water change, and then add ammonia again to reach 3 to 4 ppm.

I hope that this will re start the cycle to reduce the nitrites

Lisa67 said:
I've been cycling 2 tanks. One I started on Feb 4, the second on Feb 10. It took about 10 days before I saw any nitrite and now my nitrite level has been 5+ for atleast 3 weeks, if not more. (Sure wish I had kept a log book). One tank now has tons of nitrate.. the other tank has some, but not as much. Amonia falls to 0 in about 12 hours. Any guesses on how much longer this will take? I'm so sick of looking at empty tanks.

If your ammonia keeps dropping to 0 within 24 hours your almost their your nitrate will be sky high when its cycle is complete you will have to do a large water change to drop it i would say 80% if all is good after a day or so its time for fish just wait for nitrite to drop first won't be to long now
Any question just ask as in doing it myself lol on a 125 G tank and yes it drives you mad but worth it in the long run

Sent from my X10i using Aquarium

We just got done with my Dad's 46 gal last week. Took a little over a month. His nitrites were so high the drops turned dark purple as soon as we put them in the test tubes. Did a 50% water change and retested the nitrites and got the same results. Did another 80% water change right after the 50% and still got the same results immediately after but within 2 days they were going down and 3 days more they were gone altogether. Did another 80% change after that to get nitrates down to about 5 and he's had 4 small cichlids and 2 chinese algae eaters in there for a almost a week and they are doing great

My nitrites were that high for weeks. Did one 70% water change about a week ago and nitrite test continued to turn purple as soon as it hit the bottom of the tube. I didn't want to keep messing with it. Over the past few days I've cut the amonia doses down a bit. The nitrite seems to be slowly falling. I'm sure the nitrate is off the scale. I'll do a large water change prior to adding fish. Thank you all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom