Looking for a catfish to help clean up in 35g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonmusick1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to create a community that with all aspects correct the fish will all be working together as a unit. Can this be done? I am wanting a catfish that will help clean and that will not get to big. I have a 35g with a 55g filtration system gravel and some fake vegitation. Should I get more cover or not? Also I currently have a betta, he is cool but the new fish would have to get along with him because he was there first.. Thanks to all that reply and want to help.. Jason:rolleyes:

you could do a population of cories. say 5 nanus cories?

post a picture to see what you have to work with :)

hoplos cat

First of all thanks for the advice MM, I am currently looking and doing research on my future FW community, as you know I have a beautiful Male betta and I am thinking about getting a schooling group such as lemmon and neon tetras non fin nippers. Also maybe some glofish danios, and also the cherry barbs 3 or 4. This should be a peaceful community any suggestions. I have a 35g penquin 200 bio wheel gravel and large rock and some fake plants.. maybe some glolight tetras and some green neon to school together.. Thanks again :usa Forgot to ask what do you think about the Hoplos Catfish

Last edited:
cories would be a really good addition to yoru tank. they stay small, so you could add a few, they do a really good job of cleaning up, there fun to watch, very peaceful. I think they would be a great addition to your tank :).

I agree, 5-6 corys would probably be ideal. They are schooling fish and will be much more playful and energetic if you get around a half dozen of them, or at least 4 as an absolute minimum. They are cute little buggers, and before you realize it you might find yourself considering them to be the favorite fish in your entire tank! (If that happens, don't say you weren't warned. hehe.) :D

A few of the smaller loaches (Yo-Yo loaches, etc.) would also accomplish the same thing, but my experience with them is they can be active to the point of being hyper and when they are not in a really large tank, that can spook some of your other fish if you have anything that is the more peaceful, slow-moving sort (like a betta). Plus, if you should ever decide you WANT smaller sized snails in your tank (e.g. MTS if you have a sand substrate), then you don't want loaches as even one loach will hunt down and kill every snail in there in short order.

As for getting more vegetation...IMO, the more the better. Fish tend to feel more comfortable if they feel they have a place to hide if needed. So you might want to buy enough plants that you can take at least one portion of the tank and make it pretty thickly "planted." Heck you might even consider making the jump to real plants; the nice thing about them is that they GROW, so you can start out with only a few and if your lighting conditions are good, they will gradually (or sometimes rather swifty) get significantly larger. Obviously there are a whole host of things you need to consider (how strong is your lighting, do you want to deal with fertilizing, CO2, etc.), but long-term it might be cheaper than buying up a whole ton of plastic plants for a 35g. Just a thought.

The one concern I have for you is the betta with the fake plants. When I kept fake plants and a betta, he'd get torn fins all the time from the plants. Why not get some low light plants, like java fern? They're hardly any maintenance, and honestly make the tank easier to maintain rather than harder. Once I got one live plant, I threw all my fake plants away and I'll never look back. The live plants are easier on the bettas fins, look nicer, and help keep the water cleaner. But good luck with whatever you choose :)

As far as the catfish, cories are always fun. There are so many different varieties to choose from. They do a good job. Ottos can be somewhat finicky. I've kept them before, but I really prefer the cory catfish. They're fun to watch, and I think, cute. Another option would be a bushy nose pleco, though size wise it might be slightly pushing it. They do such a great job with algae though....

I agree that a few low light plants would be good. Do a natural tank and you won't need CO2 or anything that I higher light tank requires. Just don't put carbon or ammochips in filter, get about 1-1.5 WPG and use regular gravel. Good plants are Java Fern, Java moss and possibly a crypt. My fish sleep in Peacock Moss and Naja Grass.

As far as catfish, Otto's don't do well in tanks without live plants, botia need to be in groups or they can get aggresive and kill other occupants, Cories are a very good choice, just make sure you et a group of them.

Back
Top Bottom