Looking for advice on semi-aggressive tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomorrowland

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! I am new to the forums, but have had aquariums for several years (just introduced myself over at the Introductions thread).

To make a long story short, I have had all manner of tanks when it comes to sizes and different communities. One I had yet to focus on were the "semi-aggressive" fish. I had a 30gal tank cycling for over a month and just recently added three fish in the last few days which I plan to move to a 75gal tank when it is more thoroughly cycled (it's only been running for just over a week at this point) and eventually into a 150gal.

The first three inhabitants of this tank are a Grey Bichir (3"), a Red-Tailed Black Shark (3") and an African Brown Knife (4"). Presently, my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all at 0. PH is at 7. The Shark and Knife are quite oblivious of the Bichir, and while the two (Shark and Knife) originally chased each other a bit they have now established territory in opposite ends of the tank and mostly keep to themselves. All three are on a diet of frozen bloodworms.

I am looking for suggestions on possible tankmates for these three and whether it would be better to add them now in the smaller tank, or to wait until a few weeks from now when I move them into the 75gal. Obviously I am looking for something that will grow large enough to not be eaten by the other three, but will still maintain a peaceful environment. I have always had a keen interest in Black Ghost Knifes, but have heard that issues can arise when they are housed with an African Brown. Any truth to that?

Any feedback would be most appreciated, and thank you all for your time. :)

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to semi-aggressive fish so maybe someone else can chime in. Just wanted to say welcome to AA. :)

I have a few friends over in an Oscar forum that have some Bichirs with an Oscar....but this is always risky as Oscars get VERY big (like 14 inches)! I am fairly new to the Oscar world, though, so definitely do your research first! lol

But, I did want to add that if all of your readings are at zero (ammonia, nitrate and nitrite), this means that your tank is not yet cycled...or you did the nitrate test incorrectly. That one is easy to mess up. ;) lol

Oh you have a 75 gallon for all of them? You may be at your limit, then. Not sure how big the ones you have now get, but the 75 gal definitely isn't big enough to add an Oscar to the bunch.

Jenn27 said:
I have a few friends over in an Oscar forum that have some Bichirs with an Oscar....but this is always risky as Oscars get VERY big (like 14 inches)! I am fairly new to the Oscar world, though, so definitely do your research first! lol

But, I did want to add that if all of your readings are at zero (ammonia, nitrate and nitrite), this means that your tank is not yet cycled...or you did the nitrate test incorrectly. That one is easy to mess up. ;) lol

Apparently I did... I retested and it's actually at 8ppm. I'm assuming it's low because I'm battling a slight algae problem. This tank was not new, but I completely took it apart and cleaned it and cycled it for just under six weeks before adding these guys one by one.

Yes, a 75gal is going to be their home for awhile but I do plan on moving them to my 150gal eventually. I've had a 150 for awhile with a hood, stand and filter.. But have never set it up as I've never had the need. But I do plan on moving those guys there at some point. I just want to give them some growing time in the 75.

I tend to avoid Oscars. I had a Black Oscar in my early aquarium days and he grew very quickly. I ended up putting him in a 220 gallon with three other Oscars (an Albino and two Tigers) and they just weren't really my style. Plus I figure it'd only be a matter of time before one tried to eat my Red-Tailed Shark. :(

I'm thinking of getting two Gouramis and two Angels, possibly a Pleco, and calling it good. Any thoughts? :)

librarygirl said:
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to semi-aggressive fish so maybe someone else can chime in. Just wanted to say welcome to AA. :)

Thank you very much! :)

Jenn27 said:
Oh you have a 75 gallon for all of them? You may be at your limit, then. Not sure how big the ones you have now get, but the 75 gal definitely isn't big enough to add an Oscar to the bunch.

These are the average full grown sizes...

Bichir: 12-14"
African Brown Knife: 12"
Red-Tailed Black Shark: 6-8"

:)

Knife Fish

I remember reading something about a ghost knife fish, with your brown knife fish, I just recently tried adding a ghost knife fish to my tank, and he didn't last a week. I think that since my brown knife fish has gotten larger and quite territorial that adding the ghost knife, just didn't work out. hope this helps!

I would keep those 3 and a school of barbs like 7 golds or rosys and a opaline gourami and that would max your tank.

Back
Top Bottom