Looking for ideas on stocking and arrangement in a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kincainn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi again! I'm starting to look at possible stocking for my new 55. I've jumpstarted my cycle with the pads from a stable HOB on my 29, (I have 2) and should be ready soon. My wife is fond of the more colorful fish, like the guppies. I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go or not. I'm definitely leaning towards some kuhli loaches, although I also like panda cories. We want a good bit of color in this tank as my 29 is mostly black skirt tetras.

I'm also curious as to any suggestions on modifications/additions to my tank décor. My sons want something "cool" like a sunken warship, but I'm leaning towards rock/driftwood. I've put a pic below of it as it is, and I look forward to hearing your ideas!
Thanks!!

Hi again! I'm starting to look at possible stocking for my new 55. I've jumpstarted my cycle with the pads from a stable HOB on my 29, (I have 2) and should be ready soon. My wife is fond of the more colorful fish, like the guppies. I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go or not. I'm definitely leaning towards some kuhli loaches, although I also like panda cories. We want a good bit of color in this tank as my 29 is mostly black skirt tetras.

I'm also curious as to any suggestions on modifications/additions to my tank décor. My sons want something "cool" like a sunken warship, but I'm leaning towards rock/driftwood. I've put a pic below of it as it is, and I look forward to hearing your ideas!
Thanks!!

http://s952.photobucket.com/user/Kincainn/media/Aquarium pics/034_zps6fc72358.jpg.html

Here's a couple pics of my 55,

Stock
10 neon tetras
3 guppies
2 swordtails
1 blue dwarf gourami
1 bristle nose pleco
1 balloon Molly
3 ghost shrimp
4 panda cories

I enjoy having allot of smaller fish rather than a few larger ones there's always something to watch. Just my opinion though maybe give u some ideas

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140202_060305.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140202_060305.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20140202_060315.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140202_060315.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 68
I would switch the background to straight black myself. The fish will tend to stand out more and it will bring out their colors better than your current background.

Some fish to look at:
Harlequin rasbora
Praecox rainbow
Dwarf gourami
Neon / cardinal tetras
Boesemani rainbows
Angels

It's seems best to pick 3 different schools of fish and combine them with a big centerpiece fish such as an angel.

If you want really colorful fish then I would suggest going with African cichlids such as mbuna or peacocks. They are the most colorful freshwater fish out there.

Moonlight, pearl, and snakeskin gouramis are nice too. German blue or Bolivian rams would also look nice

Back
Top Bottom