Looking for suggestions for 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for my 29gal that I'm going to setup as freshwater. It used to be saltwater, so I had it drilled for a closed loop and a DSB refugium. I also installed a corner overflow.

I know that I wanted sand for substrate, so I went out and got some Tahitian Moon sand. I want to keep some shrimp, probably Cherry Reds. I want some plants too but not a fully planted tank.

The advice I am seeking is about lighting, filtration and other inhabitants. In my current hood I have a 250W MH, I think that is way too much for FW. I was thinking of getting the 24" dual T12 fixture from Home Depot. Comments? The only filter I have is an old CPR BakPak, I don't think that is going to work for FW, so I'm open to suggestions there. Should I remove the overflow and plug the holes that I have drilled in the tank?

I will probably get Malaysian Trumpet Snails to stir the sand to help with dead spots. What other creatures could I keep with the shrimp that won't eat them? Suggestions for other inverts would be great too. I know space is limited and the back of the tank and sand are black, so I’m looking for color and personality.

Thanks in advance.

Nion

[center:c729b5ed4b] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Nion!! :n00b: [/center:c729b5ed4b]
I'm not a lighting person, but I can help with the fish!
mts are good and will reproduce quickly--I use them in 3 of my sand tanks.
[url=http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php said:
Arizona Aquatic Gardens[/url]]
The Red Cherry Shrimp are very unique and can only be found in limited areas of Taiwan until now. Red Cherry Shrimp eat many more types of algae unlike the Caridina japonica (Amano shrimp) which are more limited to just hair algae, and are currently regarded as the best cleaners for fish tanks. These bright red colored Cherry Shrimp enrich the look of any fish tank, and provide a high value of appreciation to fresh water aquaria. Easy to breed, easy to care for, just look at the above numbers for required temp, and pH, what more do you want in a shrimp? These are tough, resilient, and amazing little shrimp that have taken the aquarium hobby by storm in 2003. About 1/2 the size of Amano Shrimp with beautiful red coloration on males, less red on females. SIMPLE to care for, and they WILL breed in your tank! Combats many more types of algae than most other shrimp. Please note these are tiny shrimp that eat large amounts of algae. Our red cherry's co-exist with our Adult SAE's, Platy's, & Mollies and we do not have any issues with compatibility. Use Common Sense: If you have large carnivorous fish, these could end up being their dinner. Size at shipping: assorted but usually adults about 3/4 to 1"

Wow! Those are quite the shrimp. I have never heard of them, but if they can be kept with live bearers with big mouths (IMO anyway), then they can be kept with small mouthed tetras. I really like silver tips tetras--the males have an orangy color with bright, silver tips. Many people on this board have fallen for rainbow fish--they don't look like much in the LFS, but they color up nicely. I have a school of Celebes rainbows, which are small. Other rainbows can reach 5", or so. German blue rams are great, as are Apistos; however, I tried keeping shrimp with my rams (among other fish) and all six disappeared! Both the rams and apistos are small cichlids and have personality. If you can find Badis badis, they are a treat! Again, nothing to look at in the LFS, but in the right tank, they are great and so fun to watch--here's a pic: http://www.home.zonnet.nl/Ericnaus/Pictures/Other/Badis_badis.htm
The Burmese Badis and Siamese Badis are even more colorful.
A clown pleco will be a nice addition to help with algae and they only get 4-5", they are brown with carmel strips.

I hope this helps--I listed fish I love, but others will come along with their picks.

GEt a canister filter. In case you opt for heavy planted tank in future the canister filter will still be compatible with the tank setup. Try Rena, fluval or Ehiem series of canister filter.

Menagerie,
The Badis are really pretty. Have to keep an eye out for some, never seen any around Indy.

Vega,
What is your opinion on the Magnun 350 Pro?

Back
Top Bottom