Looking to start an aquairum. Probably 30 gallons. Here's what I have so far:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lateinningmagic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, first post here. I've currently got a 10 gallon setup with 4 feeder fish and a pleco. Yeah I know feeder fish aren't good pets. This tanks was really just to make my little sis and bro happy and satisfy their "we want pets" desire. But now that I've stumbled upon this website, I feel like I want a real nice tank to fill with fishies. :D Also, I really want to include a Pleco in it. They are awesome. The one I have was labeled as Trinidad Pleco and can't be more than 4 inches long. Anyway, here's what I have:

10 Gallon Tank x2 (Got one for free, had one left over from my anole)
Cascade 170 Internal Filter (designed for up to 10 gallons, so useless)
8" 50 Watt Heater (Currently off as the thermomater reads 78 degrees)
Gravel (Probably not enough for a 30 gallon, maybe for 20 gallon)
Thermomater
Gravel Siphon
Ammonia test kit (The box tricked me into thinking I could also test for Nitrates and Nitrites :twisted:)

Decorations:
4 or 5 fake plants
1 Cave (Lizard cave, but I hear this might mess with water quality?)
1 hallowed out tree/cave looking thing with flowers

I'm talking with someone on Craigslist about a 30 gallon tank for $45. Good price? He'll be e-mailing me pics later tonight.

So basically I'm trying to get a nice tank that is bigger than 10 gallons, and is not too expensive.

What I think I need:

Tank (duh)
Hood with lights
Filter
Substrate
Test Kit
Decholorinator
Ammonia (I want to do a fishless cylce)
Tank Stand (Thinking of just using an old dresser with books and VHS in it)
Fishies!

Can you guys help me out with prices, where to get the best deals? Stocking the tank? Remember, I want the best bang for my buck.

BTW I have 4 LFS. Two petlands, and what I think are local stores: Paradise Aquarium and Bobs Tropical Pet Center. The last two two seem like they know what they're doing. The Petlands suck.

best thing i can tell you is check with craigs list and thrifty nichels and whatnot.. i picked up my 55 gallon with everything on it for 100 bucks.. picked up my 125 with Everything reef ready for 400.. the 55 gallon new is about 700 bucks.. and the 125.. well.. 2 grand? lol

Yea that's what I was thinking. I guess I should focus on getting a tank first. Everything else depends on that.

the smaller the tank the less room you have for error, I would recommend a
larger tank at least a 55.

If you want to keep your pleco you better get the biggest tank you can. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Trinidad Pleco Plecostomus
For used tanks with just the light I usually consider a $1 per gallon a good price but with stand I usually try to get them for about $2 or $3 per gallon. Always consider the condition of the tank it if is acrylic or glass. Ask the person you are dealing with on craigslist about other items he might have for the aquarium it is possible he has some things he has forgotten about and will be willing to let go with it.

Just bought the tank. The person who sold it only bought it for a reptile and it died or something before she could use the tank. It still has the big label on it. I ended up getting a 20 gallon long tank. Not as big as I would have liked, but still better then 10 gallons.

Here's all the equipment I have now:

20 Gallon Tank Long
Full Florescent Hood
Background
20lbs of Gravel
Aqueon Filter
Nitrite & Nitrate Test Strips
Ammonia Test Kit
Conditioner for Tap Water
"Cycle" ( I told em I was starting a new tank and needed ammonia to start it, even asked if it wouldn't bubble when shaken, guy said thats what I needed)

So do I need anything else before I start my cycling? I asked the guy about submersible vs. cascade filters and he said it didn't really matter. He said cascade was better for oxygenating. True or false? I can still return it, haven't use it yet. What about the the "cycle" thing? Is that ammonia with a different name?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm excited about this.

the smaller the tank the less room you have for error, I would recommend a
larger tank at least a 55.

can you re-do that sentence in english?
the bigger the tank the more room you have for errors. the larger tanks are more stable temp wise. i also find them easier to work with. plus gives you more options.
Just bought the tank. The person who sold it only bought it for a reptile and it died or something before she could use the tank. It still has the big label on it. I ended up getting a 20 gallon long tank. Not as big as I would have liked, but still better then 10 gallons.

Here's all the equipment I have now:

20 Gallon Tank Long
Full Florescent Hood
Background
20lbs of Gravel
Aqueon Filter
Nitrite & Nitrate Test Strips
Ammonia Test Kit
Conditioner for Tap Water
"Cycle" ( I told em I was starting a new tank and needed ammonia to start it, even asked if it wouldn't bubble when shaken, guy said thats what I needed)

So do I need anything else before I start my cycling? I asked the guy about submersible vs. cascade filters and he said it didn't really matter. He said cascade was better for oxygenating. True or false? I can still return it, haven't use it yet. What about the the "cycle" thing? Is that ammonia with a different name?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm excited about this.
personally dont like test strips they never seem to be very accurate. also the cycle product really doesnt work. it claims to have bacteria in there that will cycle your tank. its not ammonia.

the bigger the tank the more room you have for errors. the larger tanks are more stable temp wise. i also find them easier to work with. plus gives you more options.

personally dont like test strips they never seem to be very accurate. also the cycle product really doesnt work. it claims to have bacteria in there that will cycle your tank. its not ammonia.

Looks like I wasted my money on the "cycle" grrr. I followed the instructions on the bottle and put some in there. Oh wells.

EDIT: I've started my cycle :)

Back
Top Bottom