Losing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluegillfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Two days ago I bought a new 25G aquarium kit brought it home and filled it with water treated with water conditioner and let the temp settle down them put three tiger barbs in the tank to do a Fish in Cycle well the first night one of the tiger barbs died then the second day another the third was acting fine until tonight, all three have went from acting normal to swimming at the top for 20-30 minutes to dead in a total of maybe an hour and thirty minutes top.

I tested my water and got these results
PH is 7.6 Ammonia is between 0 PPM and .25 PPM and of course 0 nitrites and nitrates.

Did I just get really unlucky with three dieing or is there somthing I am missing here? I have a pleco in the tank as well and he seems to be thrilled to be in warm water for a change.

Yeah, kind sounds like bad stock or maybe they didn't get acclimated well. How did you acclimate them?

Put them in a large Bowl with their bag water and slowly over a period of about an hour added tank water in then removed some of the water and added a little more tank water and left them in that for about another twenty minutes.

Put them in a large Bowl with their bag water and slowly over a period of about an hour added tank water in then removed some of the water and added a little more tank water and left them in that for about another twenty minutes.

I would think poor acclimation would kill them faster than almost three days later.

I think I'm going to take these dead ones back and get two gourami's

Was the temp in the bowl close to the tank temp? I don't know if that would really be enough to kill them just exploring all options. Sorry you lost them. Maybe next time try your method, only use the bag they come in and float it in the tank while you slowly trade their water. Better luck next time.

Def check out U-Tube for 'how-to' videos on 'drip acclimation' before you get your next fish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom