Lost Body

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
I im within my first week of cycling a new tank, i started the tank, used prime and bio booster and let it sit for 3 days, my LFS told me the way to cycle my tank is to get hardy fish (zebra danios) let them acclimate to the tank and then just put them in the tank and they will cycle it. so after 3 of my tanks start up i put fish in, the next morning 4 of the 5 fish died:banghead:, i lost one of the bodies, later that day my plants came in so i planted them after work, a little while later the ends of some of my leaves turned brown and melts, the next morning the other danio died(this morning) the plants dont look any worse so i assume they are ok but i cant find this danio body anywhere will letting it decompose where ever it is hurt my plants or hurt my tanks cycling process, also what should i do for cycling now that my fish are dead : (

I'm sorry about the struggling! This is why people strongly advise not to do fish-in cycling. The best thing you can do is wait and do fish less.

You will want to remove all the water and everything and start completely fresh. Fill it up new, clean the decor, add a pure 100% ammonia source. This will start your fishless cycle. You will need to keep adding in ammonia until your ammonia converts to nitrite. Your nitrite will eventually convert to nitrate and then do a massive water change. Your tank is officially cycled if in 24 hours after adding ammonia there is no trace of it or nitrite. I'm on the app i can't add a link to the "fishless cycling" post hopefully another member can post it for me.

If they died within one day of putting them in they were likely bad stock to begin with. Either that or you didn't acclimate them properly to the new tank (if you just float the bag that doesn't acclimate them to your water). Here's a guide to help you get started; it also explains the various methods of cycling and pros and cons of both. I would also start by testing your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate; get a good liquid test kit though as the strips are not accurate. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

If they died within one day of putting them in they were likely bad stock to begin with. Either that or you didn't acclimate them properly to the new tank (if you just float the bag that doesn't acclimate them to your water). Here's a guide to help you get started; it also explains the various methods of cycling and pros and cons of both. I would also start by testing your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate; get a good liquid test kit though as the strips are not accurate. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

10-4 ill grab a kit, and im going to get my next fish from a diff pet stop also, angel girl, do to my lack of knowledge, bad advice, and lack of experience, i started a fish-in cycle, im not a fan of this method but i dont have the heart to completely dump the tank and start over, due to lots of good advice ive gotten from people here and a paid expert(whom has a money bad guarantee so he better be right) ive learned how to do a fish in cycle properly, as i said i dont like the thought of hurting living things(or none living things for that matter) however seems to be with the proper care, time, and effort i fish in cycle can be done without hurting them. im doing a 50% water change after this cup of coffee and then will wait a few days, do another 50% change and then will evaluate if the water is safe to try fish again

This was covered in a different topic but the fish died from acclimation.

Fish in cycles are perfectly fine as long as you are diligent about water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom