Lots of stocking questions 55gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently have:
3 Red Wag Platy
2 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Peppered Cory
4 Sterbai Cory
2 Mystery Snails

Aquatop CF500
Finnex Planted 24/7 LED

Planning on getting 6 more Harlequins, 2 Bolivian Rams, and 2 Angels.

Dont know if that is where I should stop or if the tank can handle more.

Should I add more snails or some other type of algae eater?
I was contemplating a Killfish (American Flag Fish). Thoughts? The snails seem more interested in the glass and driftwood. Want something to keep the plants clean. Was considering shrimp. Would love to have Cherry Red Shrimp, but they would get eaten or harassed to where I would never see them. Was then thinking of Amano, but likely the same thing would happen from what I've been told.

Would like to get something useful and visible too if possible. Anybody know of some other options for algae eaters that will clean the plants?
Should I add more snails?

Any ideas on other options for stocking the tank further, past what I listed? More snails? Shrimp? Killfish? Others?
This is what it looks like. Added mor plants since this pic
IMG_0109.jpg

Currently have:
3 Red Wag Platy
2 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Peppered Cory
4 Sterbai Cory
2 Mystery Snails

Aquatop CF500
Finnex Planted 24/7 LED

Planning on getting 6 more Harlequins, 2 Bolivian Rams, and 2 Angels.

Dont know if that is where I should stop or if the tank can handle more.

Should I add more snails or some other type of algae eater?
I was contemplating a Killfish (American Flag Fish). Thoughts? The snails seem more interested in the glass and driftwood. Want something to keep the plants clean. Was considering shrimp. Would love to have Cherry Red Shrimp, but they would get eaten or harassed to where I would never see them. Was then thinking of Amano, but likely the same thing would happen from what I've been told.

Would like to get something useful and visible too if possible. Anybody know of some other options for algae eaters that will clean the plants?
Should I add more snails?

Any ideas on other options for stocking the tank further, past what I listed? More snails? Shrimp? Killfish? Others?
This is what it looks like. Added mor plants since this pic
View attachment 296466
Cool, what kind of sand do you use for the top layer? It looks great! Currently I only have seachem flourite black sand for my base.

Cool, what kind of sand do you use for the top layer? It looks great! Currently I only have seachem flourite black sand for my base.

Thanks!
Been a long, expensive journey, but fun and rewarding.
Still a work in progress. Added more moss to the driftwood and to cover up some of that ridiculous Roman ruin thing. Looks even better now.

I used CaribSea Tahitian Moon sand.
My Cory's love it.

Ahh nice. I hope I can arrange my plants soon, but I am more worried about my water at the moment.

Is imaginun black sand substrate similar to tahitian moon sand?

Ahh nice. I hope I can arrange my plants soon, but I am more worried about my water at the moment.

Is imaginun black sand substrate similar to tahitian moon sand?

Honestly, I have no idea.
I am ignorant to much of this hobby. All I know is if you are keeping a fish like Corys, you need something friendly to their barbels. So a fine sand with grains that aren't jagged.
The people on this forum are the best resource I have found for finding out the answers to every question that has come to mind thus far. Beyond that, the internet. Research... lots and lots of research. I usually start with the research, figure a couple solutions out on my own, then present them to this forum to get advice. Surprisingly, I have been on the right path through my research a few times now. But I have been lead in a different path more than not.
Im just having fun through learning and discovering all the little things that I had no clue about prior to starting my 55.
Its addicting. Have a million ideas for future tanks.
Already have a 10 gallon that I'm thinking about making a shrimp tank. Cherry Red and some other varieties are gorgeous and fun to watch. But that's way down the road yet. Lots to do and spend money on yet with the 55. Probably won't ever stop tweaking it.
Sorry for the rant.
As for the sand, I have heard arguments going both ways as to what size grain and coarseness. People say that they keep Corys using only the Eco Complete as their substrate. I can say for certain, that is a bad idea. The gravel is large and very jagged. I erred on the side of caution and went with the softest sand I could find, checked all the reviews, looked at pics of others tanks, and settled on the CaribSea Tahitian Moon. Its not as cheap as say pool filter sand, which a lot of people go with, but it is beautiful. Wanted black sand. Makes all the colors explode.
Hope this helps.
But ask around on here, or start a thread with your questions. Everyone is so helpful.

Honestly, I have no idea.
I am ignorant to much of this hobby. All I know is if you are keeping a fish like Corys, you need something friendly to their barbels. So a fine sand with grains that aren't jagged.
The people on this forum are the best resource I have found for finding out the answers to every question that has come to mind thus far. Beyond that, the internet. Research... lots and lots of research. I usually start with the research, figure a couple solutions out on my own, then present them to this forum to get advice. Surprisingly, I have been on the right path through my research a few times now. But I have been lead in a different path more than not.
Im just having fun through learning and discovering all the little things that I had no clue about prior to starting my 55.
Its addicting. Have a million ideas for future tanks.
Already have a 10 gallon that I'm thinking about making a shrimp tank. Cherry Red and some other varieties are gorgeous and fun to watch. But that's way down the road yet. Lots to do and spend money on yet with the 55. Probably won't ever stop tweaking it.
Sorry for the rant.
As for the sand, I have heard arguments going both ways as to what size grain and coarseness. People say that they keep Corys using only the Eco Complete as their substrate. I can say for certain, that is a bad idea. The gravel is large and very jagged. I erred on the side of caution and went with the softest sand I could find, checked all the reviews, looked at pics of others tanks, and settled on the CaribSea Tahitian Moon. Its not as cheap as say pool filter sand, which a lot of people go with, but it is beautiful. Wanted black sand. Makes all the colors explode.
Hope this helps.
But ask around on here, or start a thread with your questions. Everyone is so helpful.
Yes, I get mixed advice on what can be used or not for catfish. I currently have my catfish with regular round rocked gravel and they seem fine for over a month now. I plan to move them to my flourite sand tank once it is established.

Yes, I get mixed advice on what can be used or not for catfish. I currently have my catfish with regular round rocked gravel and they seem fine for over a month now. I plan to move them to my flourite sand tank once it is established.

What size tank?

Oh boy. First thing I learned on here was how I was doing my Corys wrong. How many do you have?
2 currently. I realize that they are a schooling fish, so I plan to get more when I move them. The base I have in my new tank is flourite black sand and I am hesistant adding imaginum black sand substrate over that.

2 currently. I realize that they are a schooling fish, so I plan to get more when I move them. The base I have in my new tank is flourite black sand and I am hesistant adding imaginum black sand substrate over that.

I did not know they liked numbers when I started out. Only bought 1 Cory. Had the poor guy in a 2.5 gallon bowl with a betta and cheap jagged gravel and fake plants. Then I got the bug and bought the 55. I joined this forum and immediately realized I was basically torturing both fish. He has friends now and plenty of space and soft sand to play in.

I did not know they liked numbers when I started out. Only bought 1 Cory. Had the poor guy in a 2.5 gallon bowl with a betta and cheap jagged gravel and fake plants. Then I got the bug and bought the 55. I joined this forum and immediately realized I was basically torturing both fish. He has friends now and plenty of space and soft sand to play in.
All I really knew about the cory was that they scavenge and their barbells are sensitive. I made sure the gravel was nice and round. I realized later that they needed friends so I decided to get a bigger tank for them and use sand as the base

Back
Top Bottom