Low Maintance 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedNeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all. Looking to set up a 20 gallon long for my nephew and am looking for a low maintance stocking suggestions. He's into tractors and stuff so my sister in law wanted to do a "farm" tank. I was thinking a good HOB for filtration. Looking forward to some suggestions!
Ps.....I suck at low maintance...went from Mbuna to oscar :lol:

What does a "farm" tank consist of? You could use some small plastic farm animals and tractors, etc for decor. Make sure they're either aquarium safe, or seal them first, of course.
I would think a few corys and tetras would be fairly low maintenance, provided you kept your numbers low.

What does a "farm" tank consist of? You could use some small plastic farm animals and tractors, etc for decor. Make sure they're either aquarium safe, or seal them first, of course.
I would think a few corys and tetras would be fairly low maintenance, provided you kept your numbers low.

Yea, I'm either going to have to seal toys or find aquarium ones. What are we talking when it comes to stocking #s though. She will have an instant cycle because I will give her media from my well established tank. Let's say,
3 to 4 Cory's
10 tetras?
I mean I know a pwc weekly is the best but I'd like for it to be 20% or lower for her if possible.

Yea, I'm either going to have to seal toys or find aquarium ones. What are we talking when it comes to stocking #s though. She will have an instant cycle because I will give her media from my well established tank. Let's say,
3 to 4 Cory's
10 tetras?
I mean I know a pwc weekly is the best but I'd like for it to be 20% or lower for her if possible.

I would add two corys (they're happier in groups of 5+), but, otherwise, that stocking list seems fine.

Sooooo, I think Monday I'm going with my sister in law to get everything she needs for her sons 20 long. I'm going to suggest sand substrate. She wants a Betta so I'm going to go with a sponge filter and then suggest a schoal of neons a some panda or pygmy corys. If she needs somthing else I was going to suggest some ghost shrimp. Let me know how you guys/gals feel about this stop list/set up. THANKS!

Panda corys would be cute because they're black and white like cows, to keep the farm theme [emoji6] Tetras are always good for some mid- and top-level activity. Get some plants (real or fake) and put them in rows like corn and other crops, and use different substrates for the "fields", "pastures", and maybe a winding gravel road.

Maybe you didn't want to get that deep into the details but I'm just thinking of fun suggestions lol!

Love those ideas, Hoobfoob! I think panda corys really would look like little cows, LOL. Adding on to that, if you found a plastic barn toy that the fish could swim in, that would be so cool! If you can't find one, I bet you could make one out of ceramics as long as you do it so it's aquarium safe, it'd be fun to paint with your nephew!
Also- you can build a lego barn with him, whether from a set or on your own, legos are aquarium safe and look super cool. It'd be great bonding time, too! They have farm themed lego sets complete with little farmers, animals, tractors, and crops.

Some links:
http://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/subtheme-Farm
http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/310317

Back
Top Bottom