Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2022, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Low pH levels

200L tank
3 goldfish
pH - 6.0
Nitrate - 5ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0.50ppm

Hi guys, my pH has been sitting at 6.0 for a couple of weeks now, and my pleco has died since.

Iíve done a couple of 50% water changes, added pH up, added a pH raiser block, removed driftwood, tank is super clean, but the pH still isnít budging. Iíve also removed the few plants I had in there (which the goldfish ate most of anyway).

Iím afraid Iíve also crashed my cycle as my nitrate (which is usually high) is almost non-existent but my ammonia has been switching between 0.50ppm to 1.0ppm in this time.

Should I go an buy some coral substrate? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-22-2022, 02:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You might just need some magnesium. You can check into adding some dissolved plain, nothing added pharmacy Epsom Salts which is magnesium sulfate, and possibly some calcium powder.

If you can do a GH/KH test and see what you find mainly with the kH it could be very useful.

What kind of dechlorinator are you using? Some types use different methods of binding the chlorine and if you already have low KH and you use a type which uses calcium to bind with it, you can crash your tank. Personally have had that terrible experience. Others use O2. And I am not a chemist so my knowledge is limited and the intricate details of all the ways those things work.

I use Prime and previously tried a different type dechlorinator, which worked great for people with harder water and killed fish when people had very low KH.

This is a really thorough article re: water chemistry
https://users.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
You might just need some magnesium. You can check into adding some dissolved plain, nothing added pharmacy Epsom Salts which is magnesium sulfate, and possibly some calcium powder.

If you can do a GH/KH test and see what you find mainly with the kH it could be very useful.

What kind of dechlorinator are you using? Some types use different methods of binding the chlorine and if you already have low KH and you use a type which uses calcium to bind with it, you can crash your tank. Personally have had that terrible experience. Others use O2. And I am not a chemist so my knowledge is limited and the intricate details of all the ways those things work.

I use Prime and previously tried a different type dechlorinator, which worked great for people with harder water and killed fish when people had very low KH.

This is a really thorough article re: water chemistry
https://users.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html

Thanks so much! Iíll get a GH/KH test and try the methods mentioned in the article.

Tags
level, low ph, ph level, ph levels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com