Lower GH an KH, white buildup below water line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dyscea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.

I have a 1 gallon acrylic fish bowl with an aerator, planted, 3 lambchops, and 1 zebra danio. I feed infrequently and use a decholorinator during 25%-50% weekly water changes.

I used API's 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips. All tests were within ideal range for nitrates (0), nitrite (0.0), and pH (7.0) except for KH and GH (180).

So this white, foggy buildup began slowly about 2 months after I started the aquarium. It doesn't wipe off with a sponge, doesn't scratch off with my nail. It is clear near the aerator and plants, I'm thinking this has something to do with the current. I have a goose neck lamp on a timer that is coincidentally aimed at the foggy buildup. An aquarium said it was hard water and that they have pH regulators that will clear it over time, on its own. It was pricey, so I decided to wait until I did my own research online.

My problem is that GH, KH, hard water, softener searches has returned pages about mineral buildup above the water line due to evaporation. Mine is a uniform area below the waterline.

I could transfer my fish temporarily and soak the acrylic bowl in vinegar. But if I don't fix the hard water, won't the fogginess just return again? Will I have to purchase bottled water from now on?

If anyone can advise on a low cost method (I wouldn't mind the hard work), it would be much appreciated. Or a low cost temporary fix until I can afford the ideal method.

Thanks in advance!

The white foggy buildup is natural for a fish tank, but instead of taking time to clean it up, I would invest in a larger fish tank. 10 gallons as a minimum, but go as large as you can afford. Sadly, that danio won't last very long in that bowl no matter how good you take care of it. But, if you do get that tank I was talking about, be sure to cycle it well. Search up articles about the fish tank nitrogen cycle and seeding the new tank off your current one if you don't already know about it, and be extra sure to do all your zebra danio research while you are at it! Zebra danois are one of my favorite fish, and I actually keep them in a school of 6 in my 30 gallon. They have been going strong for almost 2 years, and are great fish. But please understand that they need a bigger tank with filtration to be happy and healthy, after all they are very active fish and need lots of swimming room, plus they are schooling fish. I hope you take my advice, and best of luck with your danio!

All as above really. Is the white build up just near the water line or from water surface to substrate? Do you get much evaporation. Also have you tested tap ph? I'm a little dubious on that ph value with that high a kh but just to see if you may have done one?

Thanks for replying, everyone. I knew I was gonna get tagged about a small bowl :p I had just adopted it from a friend who was moving, and I am saving up for a 10gal. Apparently he originally had 2 danios, but one was a jumper.

I had thought $1 zebra danios would be boring, but there's something about taking care of another living creature.

Anyway, to some of your inquiries...

Here is how the fogginess looks like (and some algae I need to wipe off). Notice how it is so much clearer in the backside where I have the air stone. Quite fog free, actually. Evaporation hasn't been a problem since it is summer and fair if not humid.

Here is the last of my API test strips I used just now. I had put activated charcoal inside my shower head to help soften my bathing water (and consequently what I use for water changes). I must say, my skin feels more hydrated, but moving on...

The GH was actually closer to purple than the blue, in my opinion.

Any thoughts? Should I use a diff test? An expensive test kit? I'd like to learn how to take care of these guys. First fish I've had since I was a kid, and it was my mother who always took care of the aquarium. We only fought over who would feed them. Despite money being tight right now, I am inspired to have a bigger tank eventually and try a small scale aquascaping. Maybe even saltwater. Or a shark tank! (j/k)

Ultimately, I am mystified by this buildup. I'd like to see the fish!

Gh did kind of look purple to me. It looked (on the iPhone) like ph, gh and maybe kh were higher in the bowl (or was I seeing things)?

Just to check - the water is clear just a deposit on the bowl surface?

Eventually something like the API master test kit and kh/gh liquid test kit would be more accurate and cheaper in the long run. But I've found the strips are ok for kh and maybe gh.

Yes. If I look around the foggy acrylic, I can clearly see fish, plants, & gravel. I wiped inside and out with a soft sponge and tested scratching gently with my fingernail. It is a uniform, porous texture compared to the smooth acrylic.

I do realize it is wiser to spend the money in prevention than in putting out fires. Learning a lot in the last 3 months.

Imo a ph regulator would be pretty hard going as after every water change the ph/kh/gh would reset or rebound. Small tanks can fluctuate so it's possible it's reached a point where scale gets laid down as something like temperature changes. Driftwood tends to lower ph / consume kh but it's fairly slow.

All I can think of is to use distilled water at say 50:50 and dilute the hard tap water. I assume your substrate pebbles are quite hard and not limestone? It's odd ph seems to be increasing in the tank, it should decrease.

People have used RO units for larger tanks. You might be able to get a water report for your area and see how hard the tap water is as well.

Later on if you could go to a glass 10gal then a hang on back (hob) would provide water flow which might stop the scale (since the aerator is helping now). The filter bacteria would also consume some kh. Maybe you could add extra air stones on the bowl 'corners' and try that for now. I was thinking of a small powerhead but think you would just get a whirlpool effect.

Scale. I can finally put a name to it! I did purchase a small aquarium wood. Boiling a couple more times just in case. I don't think those tannins will ever stop leaking on this one :) The pebbles look like he got them from the dollar store!

I'll take all your advices. This has been the most informative and concrete direction I've had in weeks. Thinking about a simple aquaponics set up when I get that 10gal.

Thank you, thank you!

Good luck, keep us posted :)

Just in case, if any white/grey pebbles in there - could take one out and drop some vinegar on it and check it is not fizzing (limestone).

That sounds like sorcery! I'll be sure to update in here if anything exceptional happens :)

The white foggy buildup is natural for a fish tank, but instead of taking time to clean it up, I would invest in a larger fish tank. 10 gallons as a minimum, but go as large as you can afford. Sadly, that danio won't last very long in that bowl no matter how good you take care of it. But, if you do get that tank I was talking about, be sure to cycle it well. Search up articles about the fish tank nitrogen cycle and seeding the new tank off your current one if you don't already know about it, and be extra sure to do all your zebra danio research while you are at it! Zebra danois are one of my favorite fish, and I actually keep them in a school of 6 in my 30 gallon. They have been going strong for almost 2 years, and are great fish. But please understand that they need a bigger tank with filtration to be happy and healthy, after all they are very active fish and need lots of swimming room, plus they are schooling fish. I hope you take my advice, and best of luck with your danio!

This is a great example of how to use tact in posts. There are too many people on here these days that would have jumped down the op's throat. It is refreshing to see. All I can say is be glad that Trevor got their first! Lol

There are some sensible people left on here after all :)

Good luck with the danio and your new tank OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, cool! Hate to give the cliche "need a bigger tank" answer but this is like a way extreme case lol. Best of luck?

Thanks, Trevor! I was also fully prepared to have someone "jump down my throat". It was a risk I was willing to take for my fish.

I think I might visit my local thrift shops and craigslist to see if there are any cheap tanks to be had.

This is a great example of how to use tact in posts. There are too many people on here these days that would have jumped down the op's throat. It is refreshing to see. All I can say is be glad that Trevor got their first! Lol

There are some sensible people left on here after all :)

Good luck with the danio and your new tank OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah. That.

Goodwill often has small tanks cheaply, as does craigslist. And Petsmart has good sales. Danios are like teenagers on skateboards, they need space and friends.

29 gallon is the smallest that will be super stable, but if you're ok with testing and water changing, just have a look at the minimum tank length for danios, so they have room to run. Once you have 6 you'll really enjoy watching them zip around together.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Also ... If your secondhand tank doesn't have all the parts ... For the filter and heater Dr Fosters and Smith and Amazon are cheapest, often. Ive had decent luck with Tetra/Marineland filters but more with Fluval. A thermostat on the heater is important.

Going a little extra with the flow on the filter (getting a filter rated larger than your tank) would give danios a fast current that they enjoy a lot.

Getting the gravel vac that lets you start flow with a hand pump instead of mouth suction is also more pleasant in the long run. I think they're top fin, blue with a blue squeezie ball in the middle of the tubing.

Welcome to the addiction ...

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

A hand pump! Blimming heck we miss out here. My gravel vac I have to kind of pump the tube up and down until water starts flowing. This generally happens just after there are blowhole craters in the gravel and waves to sink the titanic. Well, maybe not that bad but sometimes I'd like to feed it through a mulcher.

Back
Top Bottom