Maintenance Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dancer95

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! I was wondering what would be your advice for a maintenance schedule? I'm wanting to take really good care and keep all the levels where they need to be but not sure what I need to have on hand, when i should add chemicals, which chemicals to add, etc. Any advice on what chemicals to have or maintenance information is great! Thanks!

Chemicals??????? What type? Lol i would never use a chemical.. Of any kind. :) but then again, it depends on what your talking about..

If you want a clean do a 15-20% water change once a week and a gravel vac at the same time. Also try and test your water once a week and if the readings are not very good, do more water changes. :)

Yeah, I wouldn't use any chemicals except a dechlorinator (which, of course, is a necessity) I would even increase the size of the weekly water change to 30%......

You will need a water dechlorinator- Prime is a good brand.
Do you have plants? You may need fertilizers if you do.

bud29 said:
Yeah, I wouldn't use any chemicals except a dechlorinator (which, of course, is a necessity) I would even increase the water change amount to 30% a week.....

Oh ya dechlorinator... I have been stuck in the saltwater world so i forgot about that! Haha 15-20% will give you decent levels and your water will be semi-clean, when i had my freshie tank i did 50% a week.... Its just a preferance.

If you have just started your tank you will have to cycle it. I use Prime for a dechlorinator it is the only chemical I use.
If your tank is not cycled then you should have an API liquid test kit and test daily. If the ammonia is above zero, 20-30% water change is needed, if the nitrite is above zero need to do a 20-30% water change, if nitrate is above 40 need 20-30% water change.
If you have cycled already then weekly water change of 20-30% depending on your stock might need water changes 2x weekly.
We really need more information on your tank. How old is it? What size is it? What is your stock?

I was meaning like the aquasafe and stuff like that as far as the chemicals! obviously nothing harsh that would hurt my fish!

I have a 12 gallon tank that is cycling. Then a 20 gallon hexagon tank with 2 black neon tetras, 2 zebra danios, and a breeder box with molly fry! Next is a 29 gallon with 6 platys, 1 dalmation molly, 2 tetras, 2 guppys and an african dwarf frog. The tanks have been set up about a month now except the 29 gallon which is about a week old!

If the tank is fully cycled then I'd suggest 50% weekly with a substrate vacuum each time (I use Prime as the dechlorinator). If the tank is cycling with fish then that's a different story; more water changes are required then to keep toxins at a minimum until it cycles.

Dancer95 said:
I have a 12 gallon tank that is cycling. Then a 20 gallon hexagon tank with 2 black neon tetras, 2 zebra danios, and a breeder box with molly fry! Next is a 29 gallon with 6 platys, 1 dalmation molly, 2 tetras, 2 guppys and an african dwarf frog. The tanks have been set up about a month now except the 29 gallon which is about a week old!

If they have only been running for about a month they probly are not cycled. So you should be testing daily and doing water changes according to test results as stated before. after your cycle completes them you can schedule weekly water changes

Back
Top Bottom