Maintenance Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Finished cycling and am fully stocked. It is time to do some cleaning. I have a 42 gallon hex aquarium. I have a HOB Millennium 2000 filter and a Magnum 350 cannister filter running.

My understanding is that I should not change the media in both filters at the same time, correct?

Should I change the carbon/pad in the HOB filter or just rinse it out with tank water in a bucket?

How much of a water change should I do?

I purchased a python kit but it is missing two vital parts, waiting on shipment to do a gravel vac?

Thanks for any help. BTW, my water is tested and in great shape...[/b]

My understanding is that I should not change the media in both filters at the same time, correct?

You are correct.

Should I change the carbon/pad in the HOB filter or just rinse it out with tank water in a bucket?

Rinse it with tank water. No need to change it until it falls apart.

How much of a water change should I do?

Most people do a 30-50% change weekly.

What are you currently stocked with?

In addition to what verucaproduce said I would like to point something out. Even though your python is not currently in service, you can still do a water change. Just scoop the old water out and pour the new water in. Although it is necessary to vacuum the gravel; until your python is up and running (assuming that will happen in the very near future) just doing a 30% PWC in the meantime would great.

Best,
Joe

I would change the Millennium cartridges every once in a while, but rinse them out in tank water in between changes. You don't need to replace them as often as the manufacturer recommends, but IMO you do need to replace them sometimes. It's the Aquaclear foam media that doesn't need to be replaced until it falls apart. If you wait until the Millennium cartridges are falling apart, you'll have little carbon bits all over your tank (since the carbon is inside the cartridge). I do think you chould change the Millennium media and the Magnum media at different times, just to be safe.

Got it, I rinsed the Millennium cartridge out in a bucket with water I took from the tank during the water change. When I do my next water change I will clean the Magnum.

Thanks!

I actually always vacuum when doing water changes. I have sand in my tanks and they tend to have a lot of gunk on the sand as the gunk doesn't sink in like it does with gravel. I also do 50% on each tank once per week, at least LOL.

Back
Top Bottom