Make me my next tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mopedman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am buying substrate, a 4 55w power compact lighting sytem of which two will be daylights and two actinic. I plant to have low to moderate lighting plants in this tank. This is a 55 gallon. What set up would you suggest fish wise for my tank? Unfortunately I don't want any livebearers or Discus. I want something that won't tear up my plants as well. Thanks for you suggestions.

Micro Rasboras and/or small Rainbows along with some Dwarf Cories.

I really like the Zebra Oto's. Are there fish that get more than a a few inches big but won't get too big for my 55gallon long? Also are those Oto's more for a clean up crew? Thanks

Rainbows of all types, dwarf cichlids, rams, angels, gouramis, pencilfish, and a lot more I can't think of right now. You could do a variety of loaches, botia. Lots of choices.

Angels are awesome. I would suggest just one, since a breeding pair could get aggressive.

A pair of Rams would be great too. Try to find tank raised Gold or Blue Rams....they are hardier. Otherwise, Bolivians are good too.

You could have those and then a couple schools of fish. Praecox/Dwarf Neon Rainbows are awesome looking.....so are Furcatas. Diamond tetras, Harlequin rasboras, Rummynose tetras, Lemon tetras, Black Neons, Columbian tetras......are all cool.

A school of Cories would top it off nicely!

I would actually go with more than one Angel. We have four in our 55 and they live harmoniously, laying eggs about every 8 weeks.

I would actually go with more than one Angel. We have four in our 55 and they live harmoniously, laying eggs about every 8 weeks.

So your angels don't get aggressive when they lay their eggs and the other fish don't try to eat them? What else is in your tank?

I have four angels, seven Hi-Fin Serpae Tetras, and two True Rummynose Tetras. Majorly understocked but I just haven't had time to get more fish.

The angels are going to try to eat eggs, regardless of who the parent angels may be. All four peck at the eggs if I don't get them out fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom