Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Making the Leap - New 40 gallon tank

Ok so I have been planning to add to my current 10 gallon and 6 black neon tetras 2 or 3 otos and plant it, but I decided to plan something new out. A 40 gallon! I have some questions though. Why is called a 40 breeder? I don't plan any breeding on happening, but if so alls well. I think I'll stock. It like this: My current 6 black neons, either a striped peacock eel, or 3 panda Cory's, preferably the first, maybe some hatchetfish, and some glass catfish, most likely 7. For the bottom I want something eel like, so is there something not a loach that is good beside a peacock eel? I am keeping my fish and really want the glass catfish. I also like hatchetfish. Right now I want something that is fairly colorful that is a mid tank swimmer, not too bright, that will go good in a slightly acidic, South American type planted environment. It might be a few months till I buy it all, but I need to no my costs. I prefer not neons or cardinals, not even tetras unless they are reAlly cool. When my current ones die, I've had them for awhile, I plan on penguin tetras in their place. Maybe a barb? Or gouramis. I may switch out eel for a flying fox. I want a tank where something I happening everywhere, top to bottom. NO livebearers, unless I can find endlers livebearers. I plan to have I think it's called duck weed at the top, some swords, driftwood with anubias, crypts, all in all a well planted tank. It might be quite a while for me, on a tight budget, but I'm working hard for this. By August I hope the tank is all the way set up, with me putting the last touches in aka probably duckweed and the eel.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also does anyone know of a place that makes custom aquariums for an ok price in the us?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Look It Up

Not sure on the peacock eel in a 40. They can grow upwards of 10". Maybe research a smaller eel type.

I have a 40 breeder and I love it. Not sure why it's called a breeder. The 40 breeders are deeper than most standard tanks (that are 12" deep; the breeder is 18") so maybe that's why.

What filter are you getting? I have an Eheim 2215 on mine and I run it with an Aquaclear 50 just for extra filtration although it's not needed. A canister filter would be great for that tank.

You could do something like:

--8 black neons
--3-5 otos
--7 glass cats
--6-8 hatchets
--for the bottom maybe 6-8 corys and a smaller pleco, like a bristlenose
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

It's called a breeder because of the larger base (footprint) and shorter sides. Makes it easier for breeders to work in the tank while still having plenty of room for the spawning set up.

Or so I've been told.

AA ToS
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, so anybody have good fish suggestions, or tips?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

So good fish for a 40 gallon?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anybody have any good fish ideas for a 40 gallon, ie bright colored, preferred not live breeders, and not a tetra species- any suggestions help!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can a bb puffer live in a community tank?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTetra View Post
Can a bb puffer live in a community tank?
No, they'd probably kill most everything in it. They are small but very aggressive.

There are a lot of fish that can go in a 40 br. Did you have anything specific you like? While you're gathering tank materials, you could visit some local fish stores, see what they have that you like, and then research them and ask here. Personally I'd move the tetras you have now into the 40 gal too (maybe even the Otos) as they are active fish and would appreciate more swim room. Then you could have two dwarf puffers in the 10 gal.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I actually don't have otos, I was like a day from getting em then I wanted a 40 b. I just wondered about puffers cuz my lfs had some. Does anyone know anything about striped peacock eels?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Honestly there are a few fish that could fit the category of colorful non tetra or live bearer, just depends on what size of fish are you looking for? Schooling fish?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm setting up a 40B, too. I had the same questions, but did a lot of digging. I learned that the dwarf gourami is a good peaceful fish and they have some beautiful colors. I'm also looking at some cherry shrimp and a couple of different schooling fish. I actually like the neon tetras, but there are some other very colorful fish I'm looking at for potentials. If your interested, check out the list on my 40B Journey thread.
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya schooling I like gouramis but don't know how they fit into the setup I want and do they breed easy? I don't want something making a big bubble nest. Again, peacock eel info anybody? That is my big question.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTetra View Post
Ya schooling I like gouramis but don't know how they fit into the setup I want and do they breed easy? I don't want something making a big bubble nest. Again, peacock eel info anybody? That is my big question.
I don't know anything about eels, but I want to clarify I'm going with dwarf gouramis. I believe regular gouramis are too aggressive.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is your stand an Aqueon stand? If not, what Brand is it? I'm trying to find one for my 40b, too.

Tags
40 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com