Malawi catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know of any catfish that are native to lake Malawi? I am doing a setup in a sixty gallon tank with some of the more peaceful mbunas and possibly a peacock. I am new to cichlids so any information about this kind of setup would be greatly appreciated. On a side note does anyone know anything about Fenestratus? A saw a pictur eof one in a book and want to know about them. How big do they get? how aggressive are they? And would one work in this setup? Here is a photo of the fish in the book.

Attachments

• image-3907528136.jpg
    image-3907528136.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 98
Where can you get a cuckoo catfish? Are they expensive? I heard about a catfish called the Malawi syndontis. Do you know anything about them?

Maxkolbe said:
Where can you get a cuckoo catfish? Are they expensive? I heard about a catfish called the Malawi syndontis. Do you know anything about them?

I'm not sure as I'm new to this hobby but I believe the cuckoo is in the syndontis family. Where to get one? I'm trying to find one myself(short of ordering online) When I find out I'll let you know.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

Good luck.

How has your upside-down catfish done with the cichlids? I currently have one in a ten gallon and he is so cool. He just never comes out. He hides all day and part of the night and it's a pain to get him to eat. Does yours act like mine or is he active?

He's doing just fine! No one even bothers him,when I feed them he just scurries around and picks up the left overs. Fun to watch!

The "Cuckoo" / "Malawi Synodontis" is the same fish Synodontis multipunctatus, they average $10-30 us depending on where you get them. Allot of the other Synodontis from africa come from lake Tanganyika but with be fine with any rift lake cichlids.

Do you think that I could do 1 or 2 peacocks if I stuck with peaceful mbunas or should I just stick with mbunas and a catfish?

I'veheard that you have to have a group of females for each male for the fish to be compatible. Since I'm no good at sexing the two mbunas I already have would it work to only do one or two of each species so that they have no females to fight over and I won't end up with hundreds of fry that can't be accommodated.

Back
Top Bottom