Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Marineland Model 4 Sump Plumbing to AGA Megaflow Twin Overflows

Has anybody ever plumbed a Marineland Model 4 Sump to an AGA overflow accessory kit for a Megaflow twin overflow tank?

The hose for the overflow connection fits right on to the bulkhead fitting, but the directions want you to use the elbow provided with pvc. I think I can get away with direct connecting it with a hose clamp?

Also, I thought I only needed one pump for the twin overflows, so I bought the Maxi-Jet 4500 to go with my sump, but I realized that I needed two and ordered another one. I got this one because it was going to give me 1175 gph of flow which would roughly be 5.6x turnover. Now I am going to have 2350 gph. Is this too much? That is roughly 11.2x turnover per hour. I am planning on adding a ball valve to each return line to restrict the flow as needed. Perhaps even a T connection to send the rest back into the sump to keep it filled and to lessen the stress on the pump.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

I'm not familiar with your particular equipment, but I'll give it a shot.

If the hose fits the bulkhead with out stressing either, go ahead and try it. I'd use either a stainless or plastic clamp for corrosion reasons.

Higher turnover is great, as long as the fish can handle the flow. The published flow numbers are generally under optimum conditions with little head pressure. I'd wager that you'd be closer to 10x turnover rate due to the plumbing losses, which is on the high end of the recommended 6-10x turnover rate. I think splitting the flow with a tee and some valves is a good idea anyways.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Welcome to AA!

I'm not familiar with your particular equipment, but I'll give it a shot.

If the hose fits the bulkhead with out stressing either, go ahead and try it. I'd use either a stainless or plastic clamp for corrosion reasons.

Higher turnover is great, as long as the fish can handle the flow. The published flow numbers are generally under optimum conditions with little head pressure. I'd wager that you'd be closer to 10x turnover rate due to the plumbing losses, which is on the high end of the recommended 6-10x turnover rate. I think splitting the flow with a tee and some valves is a good idea anyways.
Thanks for the warm welcome and I appreciate you giving this a go for me. It is hard to get a reply anywhere I posted this question!

I am putting a smallmouth bass, black crappie, and a brown bullhead.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting stock list. Just make sure to size the fish properly so no one gets eaten.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Interesting stock list. Just make sure to size the fish properly so no one gets eaten.
I am going to be stocking all adults.

The sizes will probably be about 14-15" bullhead, 12"+ smallmouth (minimum legal size in Pennsylvania starting 6/12/2010), and 9"+ black crappie (minimum size for crappie in "Panfish Enhancements" special regulations where I will be fishing for one.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #6

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyramary10 View Post
Actually I have sunny fish tank marineland aquarium. And I encountered a problem wit it. I don't know what to do so instead of seating and looking for my fish tank, I call a plumber to do it.

Is this spam for your "plumbing" website?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Is this spam for your "plumbing" website?
Appears to be. Why would somebody even bother?

Tags
flow, marineland, megaflow, overflows, plumbing, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com