Master Test Kits Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HitTheRoadJack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have so many questions.
So I was looking online for some master testing kits, and I came across two online at www.walmart.com

Has anyone has these two or would reccommend one over the other too me. I don't think we've really ever had a master kit, and to be honest I've never used one before in my life.

Master Kit 1 - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3635399

Master Kit 2- http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3635493

And is it really necessary to have these other products such as this product?

Thanks very much.[/url]

I use the second test kit. Unless you are on well water you will need somekind of water treatment. I use a brand called "Prime".

Stress coat is not a master test kit, it is for the slime coat of fish.

I use the second of the test kits (the API one) and have had no problems with it. I believe that most people on here are more familiar with the API one so if you had any problems with it lots of people would be able to help you with your problem. Either one would work though.

The Aqua Safe was in reference to a dechlorinator, he obviously knows it's not a test kit. And yes you need one if you have city water. If you are on a well I still recommend using a dechlor due to the heavy metals.

rich311k said:
I use the second test kit. Unless you are on well water you will need somekind of water treatment. I use a brand called "Prime".

Alright. I'm not on well water. Thanks :]

theotheragentm said:
I use this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Pharmaceuticals-Freshwater-Master-Test/dp/B000255NCI/

Look up Seachem Prime. It's a red bottle and a lot of places carry it. It's more concentrated so that drop per drop it's more cost effective than some of the other ones out there. Plus it's nicer not to have a big old bottle.

Interesting. I'll look for it around here, there aren't many pet stores except for Walmarts (I don't really consider them a pet store), and a Petco in Jonesboro. :\ But I'll try, and there's always Amazon, and other online stores, I'll keep looking though :]

papa_bear_21 said:
I havent used either of those, but if they test for everything you need, I see no problem with them.
Thanks for the advice.

bs6749 said:
Stress coat is not a master test kit, it is for the slime coat of fish.

I use the second of the test kits (the API one) and have had no problems with it. I believe that most people on here are more familiar with the API one so if you had any problems with it lots of people would be able to help you with your problem. Either one would work though.

Yes i do realize that, I was asking if it was a necessity to my tank.

Alright, that will make it easier for me to get help with then. Thanks very much.

Fishyfanatic said:
The Aqua Safe was in reference to a dechlorinator, he obviously knows it's not a test kit. And yes you need one if you have city water. If you are on a well I still recommend using a dechlor due to the heavy metals.

Thank you :D But I would like to point out I am a she lol. Glad you understand what I was getting at.Hm. I am on the rural department of our city water, since we live outside city limits we have a septic tank. Should I still use a dechlorinator? Thanks so much :]

Zagz said:
I also use the master test kit by Aquarium Pharmacueticals. I also use Prime as a dechlorinator, happy with both of them for 2 years now.

Good, thanks a lot for your insight. 2 years is quite a while to be satisfied with a product. I'll definately be checking this kit out.

Thanks again everyone who responded. Much appreciated. :D

I also use the master test kit by Aquarium Pharmacueticals. I also use Prime as a dechlorinator, happy with both of them for 2 years now.

Pardon me, SHE. :) I just assumed with the name Jack in the screen name that you were male, my appologies.

I've also been using Prime and the API kit for about 2 to 3 years now and have been very happy with both. If you don't have a lfs near you check out www.bigalsonline.com or www.thatpetplace.com. They are both excellent in regards to prices. www.petsmart.com is also pretty comparable on some items. It's generally quite a bit cheaper to order online than go to a lfs. Big Als offers VIP points so we tend to use them more often.

Also, if you do have access to a Petsmart, look around online first for stuff that you want/need and print off the online price and bring it to the store. They will match the online price for you. Should save on shipping costs (if any) and you will have what you want/need sooner as well.

Fishyfanatic said:
Pardon me, SHE. :) I just assumed with the name Jack in the screen name that you were male, my appologies.

I've also been using Prime and the API kit for about 2 to 3 years now and have been very happy with both. If you don't have a lfs near you check out www.bigalsonline.com or www.thatpetplace.com. They are both excellent in regards to prices. www.petsmart.com is also pretty comparable on some items. It's generally quite a bit cheaper to order online than go to a lfs. Big Als offers VIP points so we tend to use them more often.

Quite Alright, lol I can see how that my screen name could confuse people. Hope I didn't get on the wrong foot with you on that comment. Sorry lol.

Good. Thanks for the links this will really help out. :]

bs6749 said:
Also, if you do have access to a Petsmart, look around online first for stuff that you want/need and print off the online price and bring it to the store. They will match the online price for you. Should save on shipping costs (if any) and you will have what you want/need sooner as well.

I'm sorry to say that I don't live anywhere near Petsmart, the Closet one is Memphis, and that's 2-3 hours away, a pretty long drive. & That's even if they have one. I wish I did now, that sounds like you could get some great deals. I'll ask if anyone I know works around petsmart, I could give them the money, and they could get it for me. Thanks so much :]

squawkbert said:
theotheragentm said:

^ - same as 2d Wal-Mart option.
It's the one to get unless you want to spend more $ and get a Hach kit.

Also - the low (regular) range pH solution is very handy to have if you want to make a drop checker for monitoring CO2 levels. It's bromothymol blue based.

If you do use Prime, your API generated nitrate readings may be low, especially right after dosing.

Good that cuts down on an extra choice.

Good all that sounds really helpful especially the last bit. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't have known about the nitrate readings otherwise.

It's no problem Jack. :) I prefer to be corrected.

After doing a water change it's best to wait 3 to 4 hours before testing. Otherwise you won't have a true reading since the water hasn't had time to circulate.

Fishyfanatic said:
It's no problem Jack. :) I prefer to be corrected.

After doing a water change it's best to wait 3 to 4 hours before testing. Otherwise you won't have a true reading since the water hasn't had time to circulate.

The screen name I came up with because of my puppy Jack. He's a real mess sometimes :\ and so we tell him to "Hit the road" all the time lol.

Alright, that clears up a whole lot thanks :)

Well water can have nitrate in it, so you would want to do a nitrate test before beginning a cycle. Might as well (no pun intended) check all the parameters such as pH, ammonia, nitrite, and hardness while you are at it. For pH, best to let the water sit overnight to know your tap pH, or you can let it aerate overnight in a newly set up tank with no inhabitants (the CO2 or lack of CO2 in the water can change the pH reading as the water equilibrates with the atmosphere).

I think you will find the AP freshwater master kit to your liking. Read the box carefully, some "master kits" a year or so ago (when I last shopped for one) came with different tests, and if you are starting out you want to make sure you have a master kit with pH, ammoia, nitrite, and nitrate. You can buy the hardness test seperately.

Can the AP master test kit also be used for our tank water tests, or only tap water? Please excuse the noob question. Also what is a good hardness tester.

Mark

Sundiego said:
Can the AP master test kit also be used for our tank water tests, or only tap water? Please excuse the noob question. Also what is a good hardness tester.

Mark

You can test water from any source.

API also has GH/KH tests

Back
Top Bottom