Maybe a dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm bummed that my upside down catfish is never seen. I assume he's still there, although I haven't seen him for a week or so.

If I get another catfish, will that cause both of them to be more visible? Does it have to be the same species, or can I get an oto or soemthing?

Thanks

Catfish are cave dwelling fish... they dont like to be seen.. thats the point of having a catfish.. is to not see it. lol

most catfish hide well. try looking in the tank at night. otos are nice if you have a mature tank they like to be in groups.

Actually, i have found upside down catfish do well in groups of 2-3 or more. And as MG said, they are nocturnal so you don't see them much. But try lookin at night.

I only want to get another if it'll make him come out.

Otherwise, to be blunt about it, I have a small tank and don't want to use "fish space" on a fish I'll never see.

I'm not the purist that some of you are. I have a tank because I like to watch the fish interacting and swimming around.

Otherwise, to be blunt about it, I have a small tank and don't want to use "fish space" on a fish I'll never see.

I'm not the purist that some of you are. I have a tank because I like to watch the fish interacting and swimming around.

Actually your wrong. That is exactly why we do it. The fish are fine by them selves. I would just leave him alone. He will be fine and you will only see him from time too time. I have 2 in my 10g tank and the have specific hiding spots they like to be. I have 1 that hides in a place i can't see him (no clue were it is) and the other 1 hides in a rock wedge on the side of the tank were you can see him clearly. So no, it won't make you see him more and he will be fine by himself so just leave it be.

best bet would be to research and replace it with fish that dont hide. not sure there is anyone who buys fish so they cant look at them. some are just harder to see then others.

That probably came out wrong

best bet would be to research and replace it with fish that dont hide. not sure there is anyone who buys fish so they cant look at them. some are just harder to see then others.

What I mean is that lots of you who post here have either multiple tanks or large ones so that a few inches of fish space is not so important. Since I only have the one tank and it's not that large, I have to be more strategic in my choice of fish. Had I known that I would put this fish in my tank and never see him again I would not have bought him. They don't tell you that in the fish profiles, but live and learn.

don't feed it a couple days, and train it to come out for food OoO?
I believe fishes can be train~rolf!!!

or u can put less decoration, then even if it hide form u, u will still have a biggeer chance to find it.

if u like to watch fishes swim around, u should go for guppies, they will all come to u stand next to the tank!! FOR FOOD!
or get a oscar OoO they like to jump as well, but I think u need a bigger tank for it.

whats the size of your tank?

What Kind of usd cat do you have? I had a couple Asian usd cats and they don't get along at all!! the best thing you can do to see your nocturnal fish is buy a set of lunar lights they love it and you can Finlay watch your fish, not to mention your tank will look great!!

What I mean is that lots of you who post here have either multiple tanks or large ones so that a few inches of fish space is not so important. Since I only have the one tank and it's not that large, I have to be more strategic in my choice of fish. Had I known that I would put this fish in my tank and never see him again I would not have bought him. They don't tell you that in the fish profiles, but live and learn.
while i do have several tanks lots of people here only have one. try what crusch84 said and get a moon light. if that doesnt work you can always just return it.

Thanks for the answers. Guess I'll just stick with one little guy, since it doesn't sound as though it'd help to have more than one. I wouldn't take him back to a fish store. My daughter named him already (Nate).

Funny guppies should be mentioned. I got 4 fancies yesterday to replace the angels that croaked. Figure I'll stay with smaller fish for now.

Crazy little guppies were chasing the swordtail that is 2 or 3 times their size.

Back
Top Bottom