Media from a cycled tank to kick start my 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tricksyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How long should a tank be cycled before I can borrow media from it to kick start another cycling tank?

My 5 gallon is finally cycled but the 10 gallon is lagging behind and I'm thinking of pulling gravel or something out to kick start it. Concerned, though that I'll mess up the 5 gallon if I do this since it only very recently completed its cycle.

Also considering a couple live plants from a tank at the pet store but would like to put them in my outdoor pond rather than leave them inside once the 10 gallon is cycled.

Any thoughts?

gravel can be taken from the 6 without anything happening, but the filter would cause a mini cycle.

Squeeze the sponge from the 5 into the filter in the ten. That will give you some seed material without hurting the 5.

Thanks! I'll definitely try it. Bought a few plants today. Wisteria, java fern, and hornwort. Not so crazy about how they look in the tank, though. Probably gonna end up putting them out in the goldfish pond eventually. How long do I need to leave them in the tank if they're helping it cycle, though?

Back
Top Bottom