Messed up tank cycle for betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1leahann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi- newbie here. I have a 3.5 gal. tank with heater set at 78, low flow filter, lights, 1 tall silk plant, pea pebble substrate, betta leaf & terra cotta pot in it, running for about 20 days. I had added API Sress Coat, API Quick Start, & Seachem Stabiliy. Then about 12 days ago found out that I needed to add Dr Tim’s Ammonium for it to properly cycle. But I neglected to check it daily with Master test kit- only checked it a few days after adding ammonia, it registered on the chart as having ammonia. Checked today & readings are all 0 for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. I messed up by not doing daily tests. Do I just add more ammonia at this point- start over? Just order Seachem Prime. I have not bought a betta yet I feel very enept bc should have been checking water daily to see any spikes in water. . Thank you!

You have dosed ammomia, what did you raise it to?

Your first dose of ammonia should take it to 4ppm. Test daily, when it drops below 1ppm dose ammonia back up to 2ppm. Continue redosing to 2ppm whenever it drops below 1ppm. Eventually you will see 0ppm ammonia and nitrite after 24 hours and you are cycled and can get your betta. This typically takes 6 to 8 weeks.

You need to add a dechlorinator every time you change water. Stresscoat and Prime are both dechlorinators. No need need to use both. No need to add this daily or when you dose ammonia. Just when you add tap water. Prime is probably the better product and certainly much cheaper than stresscoat / water change.

The best way to speed up your cycle is to introduce some filter media from an established filter into your filter. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some. A second option is bottled bacteria like the quickstart or stability you mention. These products are hit and miss whether they work or not. Raising the temperature will speed things up also 28.5 to 30.5c(83 to 87f) is optimum. Remember to lower the temperature before adding fish.

Remember nothing you do can harm anything because you dont have any fish. Forgetting to check water daily etc isnt hurting anything.

Tank cycle for fishless tank

Thank you, Aiken. You explained process in simple steps!

Back
Top Bottom