Might get a new 55gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am saving up for a new 55 gallon tank... Any ideas on stocking, plants, etc? (I might end up planting it. Not sure yet.) it will be a freshwater tank btw. Thanks :)

I am saving up for a new 55 gallon tank... Any ideas on stocking, plants, etc? (I might end up planting it. Not sure yet.) it will be a freshwater tank btw. Thanks :)

Well when you get closer to knowing what you wanna do for sure we will be here to help!!(y)

I'm still torn with what to do for my 40B. I want to either do a cichlid or SW. My friend that works at the good lfs here offered to help if I do SW... Plus I need the experience cause ill hopefully be volunteering there soon (he'll pay in fish/coral until he can hire people) I'm just worried something will go wrong.

Yeah I would like to try that... I need to do way more research before I try though. Not this tank... Maybe the next or the one after that. LOL

I'm really liking tiger barbs right now... I know they can be nippy, but I would probably get 9 or 12... Maybe some other schooling fish and a couple of bottom feeders/algae eaters as well... What do you think?
Edit: then again, I still really like the cichlid idea... or other "big" fish idea... LOL

Does anyone know of less expensive bigger fish? I know discus are really expensive... I don't know how much cichlids are..

Does anyone know of less expensive bigger fish? I know discus are really expensive... I don't know how much cichlids are..

Discus are cichlids just a little FYI. If you go with a large cichlid you can only have one in a tank that size if it is something like an oscar, green terror, Texas ect..water will suffer badly as the fish grow. Don't be fooled by the fishes small size when you get it. It will fill the tank quickly(I believe you said a 55 gallon). There are medium sized ones as well that you can get away with having 2. 55 would be a nice home for a male and female convict or firemouths.

Discus are cichlids just a little FYI. If you go with a large cichlid you can only have one in a tank that size if it is something like an oscar, green terror, Texas ect..water will suffer badly as the fish grow. Don't be fooled by the fishes small size when you get it. It will fill the tank quickly(I believe you said a 55 gallon). There are medium sized ones as well that you can get away with having 2. 55 would be a nice home for a male and female convict or firemouths.

Sorry I meant other cichlids... I know discus get really big... Ok thanks for the info on the other fish... What about blue ram cichlids? Do you know how big they get? Or how many I could get in a 55gallon? I would like to keep some smaller schooling fish as well, so I need non aggressive fish. From what I read, blue rams are good with other fish... Is that right?

Yes they are good with other fish. I love rams. I would put 2 males and 3 females together in the 55 and let them pair up. Then return the odd female or just keep a pair and return the rest. They like the bottom part of the tank so you'll want some mid or top water fish to go in the tank if your putting other fish in.

Yes they are good with other fish. I love rams. I would put 2 males and 3 females together in the 55 and let them pair up. Then return the odd female or just keep a pair and return the rest. They like the bottom part of the tank so you'll want some mid or top water fish to go in the tank if your putting other fish in.

If they breed, that would be nice, but I am not especially hoping to breed them. I'm not the best at telling the gender either. LOL. If I end up getting two males or two females, would they fight? What if I got one of each that hadn't paired up... Would that still be okay? Again, I am fine with then not breeding.

Ok. I think I got this idea pretty much together now...

Stock:
2 German blue rams
9 harlequin rasboras
9 tiger barbs (think that'd be ok?)
5 or 6 shrimp (not sure what kind yet)

Decorations:
Some flat rocks (not sure how much yet)
Lots of fake green plants
Maybe a couple of real plants
A cave OR some rocks to make a cave
A big piece of driftwood

2 males will fight most of the time as well as male and female that aren't paired. If you have enough plants in the tank to break up sight lines it may work though. When ever you put cichlids together its a 50/50 chance it will work.

2 males will fight most of the time as well as male and female that aren't paired. If you have enough plants in the tank to break up sight lines it may work though. When ever you put cichlids together its a 50/50 chance it will work.

Huh. Well good to know, but kinda sucks. :p would it be okay to put only one?

Back
Top Bottom