Molly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchafishaboo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have this new tank, 55 litres, and in it so far I have a molly fish and this small algae eater, the molly fish was the surviving fish from the batch of fry in the old tank, but the other fish died. I was wondering what nice live bearing fish could i put in with the molly, I want live bearers because I want to see if I can evolve my fish, (like new tails, colours, patterns, sizes etc.) I have always liked guppies but I don't know if I can evolve them easily or not, pleased help me decide?:thanks:

If you want an adventure go with Endlers. They come in many designs and colors and when mixed lord only knows what you end up with.

55L is too small for a breeding tank for any species. For those who use gallons, that's 14.5.

Do you have a larger tank? Are you planning to house all ages together? Most live bearers will happily eat their fry and overcrowding only leads to disaster as you may have already discovered. Some folks who run breeding tanks on the cheap use large plastic storage tubs in place of more expensive tank options.

55L is too small for a breeding tank for any species. For those who use gallons, that's 14.5..

All these litres and liters and gallons US and gallons UK is really confusing can we all agree on using pints as a measurement because I'm more familiar with drinking pints of beer. Thanks lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The plan was to put 2 or 3 fry into a breeder net and let the rest swim freely, if they survive, they survive, if they die, it makes it easier, i also have 3 other tanks, one 30l, one 45l and one 70 litres, they have already got fish in them but those are shared with my family

Well, a 55L is big enough for a few guppies but the molly really ought to be in a larger tank. 110L is the generally accepted minimum because of their size, activity level, and bioload. Under good conditions, mollies reach full size in a matter of months. So no, I wouldn't put even guppies in to start breeding. You should get a good sized tank and move the molly into it along with with the guppies you want to breed. The molly will eat the unwanted young and then your little tank becomes your safe fry tank for the ones you want to keep.

I don't think this one will get that big, it's quite small at the moment and it's parents were quite small too, and it's only the one so I don't think I need to spend all that money on a tank that big when I only have one, I really want to do selective breeding, then I can create a nice family, can anybody tell me about endlers? I may even end up with muppies as this molly is a female

Back
Top Bottom