mopani wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday is picked up the most beautiful mopani piece It's soaking atm but when it's done Is is safe to put in a cycling tank?

Hello flit...

Some Mopani wood will leach a bit of tannic acid into the tank water, but not enough to change the cycling process. I've used pieces in my tanks and just rinse them in a bucket of replacement water and put them into the tank.

B

I remembered that I have my water bath canner and the wood fit perfectly! So anybody know how long I should boil it for it's been in there for around an hour already just wondering

Hello again flit...

You don't need to boil the piece. Boiling softens the wood and pieces can come off. If you're concerned about bacteria, you shouldn't be. There's nothing on the wood that will harm your fish. If you'd feel better, soak the piece in a bucket of your new water and add a tablespoon of standard aquarium salt to the water and leave the piece to soak for a day or so and then rinse. Most, if not all fish pathogens don't tolerate salt.

B

Back
Top Bottom