Moved Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I moved home and brought my tanks. I kept the filter media wet and changed to sand. But when i tested water out of the tap I have 1 ppm ammonia and 1 ppm nitrite, I'm not sure what I should do about that. I still added dechlorinator and the fish are alive. Haven't tested it in a day, but does anyone have experience with this.

Yeah I have this problem sometimes due to the tap tap water but if you just add dechlo and wait you old filter media should be cycling nicely and get rid of the ammo in no time

jespenguin said:
So I moved home and brought my tanks. I kept the filter media wet and changed to sand. But when i tested water out of the tap I have 1 ppm ammonia and 1 ppm nitrite, I'm not sure what I should do about that. I still added dechlorinator and the fish are alive. Haven't tested it in a day, but does anyone have experience with this.

Most dechlorinators (I use Seachem Prime) will bind with the ammonia (caused by chlormines in the tap water) and render them non toxic for 24-36 hours until the bio-filter converts them. I'd expect you're going to experience a small mini cycle due to switching the substrate. Make sure you monitor the parameters for any ammo spikes and do pwc's as necessary until the bacteria can consume the ammo down to 0 in 24 hours.
This article might help you out...even though the title doesn't pertain to you.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Back
Top Bottom