Moving fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSPK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 4" cichlid that I need to move 9 hours away. I'm going to be driving to a different state and a friend already has a tank setup for it. What are the supplies needed to do this? Does anyone have a tutorial on how to move fish and a website to buy the needed supplies? I searched the forum for "shipping fish," but didn't find any good results and went to google and found tutorials on how to ship smaller fish through the mail. (maybe didn't look hard enough) The only local fish store is Pet Smart around here. Thanks!

JSPK

Probably the easiest way is a clean bucket with a lid and a battery powered air pump with an air stone. Keeping the water temp regulated might be an issue though. But I suppose if you kept the temp steady in your car, the water might stay steady too.

I took home fancy guppies on the bus once - I used a tall tupperware for storing food with an airlight seal, took the lid off for about fifteen minutes every hour for air, and kept it in a backpack. The temperature change didn't seem to bother them (aka they didn't die;) and they were in there for a good 16 hours. I plan to do the same thing in two weeks when I go to kamloops (going fishing at the pet stores - they have lots of pet stores in the city compared to where I live!)

moving a fish

A 9 hour move is not a problem, Use a large stryo cooler, half full of water from the tank the fish was in, if its clean and has been running and has lots of good oxygen in it. wait til youre ready to pull out, to put the fish in. every couple of hours stop and swish the water at the surface for a while with your hand, and drive on. I get 4 inch fish in bags that have been enroute for 2 days, via UPS, USPS, and other means, that are fine on arrival, without any of the extra precautions mentioned above.

Also, pay attention to feeding before you move it. Dont feed right before moving so that you dont have alot of poop in the moving container. Fish can go a week or two without eating. You dont want to move it in a toilet.

Yeah and if you can, don't feed the day before either (not sure when you're leaving, just wanted to let you know).

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to go out and get a bucket with a lid and do what jimv said every couple of hours. I think the bucket would fit in snug between the front and back seats. I hope everything goes as planned. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom