Moving fish, nothing else, to larger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auribe14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've seen posts about moving fish, and everything else in the tank, to a larger tank, but my situation is a little different.

What I want to do is move two goldfish from a 10 gallon tank to a new 46 gallon tank. I would like to put another small goldfish in the old tank. So here are my issues:

1. I understand that moving bacteria from the old tank to new is good- can I put some of the new gravel, decor and plants in the old tank to get the bacteria, then move them to the new tank to start the water cycling? How long should I leave them in the old (active) tank before starting up the new tank?

2. I also plan to use the old power filter (alongside a new power filter) on the new tank for awhile before moving it back to the old tank. I plan on Bio-wheels for the new tank, should I put those in the old tank for awhile, too? How long should I run both filters in the new tank before returning the old power filter to the old tank? Any issues with putting it back on the old tank?

3. Water. How much, if any, of the old water do I need to move from the old tank to the new tank- either before the fish or with the fish?

4. Cycling- Of course, the most confusing part. If I "treat" the new materials in the old tank and then put them in the new tank, how long before I can put the fish in the new tank?

Thank you much,

Aaron

It would depend on quickly you want to accomplish all of this! Obviously, you are aware 2 goldfish dont belong in a 10gal-i really wouldnt put another in there either (its not fair to the fish). I would really consider doing a fishless cycle on your new tank. If thats not an option, running your old filter along with the new filter is going to be the easiest way to seed bacteria into your new tank. It will still have to cycle (whether its fish-in or fishless is up to you) though. Moving the old water to the new tank will do very little because most of the bacteria live in the filter media & on the surfaces of your old tank (substrate, decorations, etc). Im sure someone will post links here on fish-in cycling & fishless cycling so you can decide on what will work the best for you! Once you decide, then keeping asking questions about whatever you need help with!

I've seen posts about moving fish, and everything else in the tank, to a larger tank, but my situation is a little different.

What I want to do is move two goldfish from a 10 gallon tank to a new 46 gallon tank. I would like to put another small goldfish in the old tank. So here are my issues:

1. I understand that moving bacteria from the old tank to new is good- can I put some of the new gravel, decor and plants in the old tank to get the bacteria, then move them to the new tank to start the water cycling? How long should I leave them in the old (active) tank before starting up the new tank?

You could, but if your goal is to introduce bacteria from the old to the new, it would be just as easy to move some of the older gravel, decor, and plants permantely into the new.

2. I also plan to use the old power filter (alongside a new power filter) on the new tank for awhile before moving it back to the old tank. I plan on Bio-wheels for the new tank, should I put those in the old tank for awhile, too? How long should I run both filters in the new tank before returning the old power filter to the old tank? Any issues with putting it back on the old tank?

Since you are leaving the old tank running, why not just run the new filter along side the old one on the old tank, and once it becomes established simply move it over to the new tank? I don't use the modern filters much, so someone who does will have to give you a little better idea on the time line.

3. Water. How much, if any, of the old water do I need to move from the old tank to the new tank- either before the fish or with the fish?

None. If you're using a cycled filter and transfering gravel, decorations, and or plants, there is little to no benefit from transfering water as well.

4. Cycling- Of course, the most confusing part. If I "treat" the new materials in the old tank and then put them in the new tank, how long before I can put the fish in the new tank?

What, exactly, do you mean by "treating"

Thank you much,

Aaron

Hope that helps.

1. All new, different direction in the new tank- nothing making the move but the fish. Thus putting the new items in the old tank first, then moving them over.

2. Don't think the new filter and the old filter will both fit on the old tank.

4. By "treating" I just mean putting the new pieces in the old tank, #1.

I guess my timing question is how long do I need to run the new and old filters together on the new tank, while my fish either remain in the old, filterless tank or a bucket? I thought I saw somewhere about cycling that if you are essentially moving over a lot of stuff that has the old aquarium bacteria it only takes a day or two. (But now, of course, I can't find that again.)

Your best option here would be to move the old filter onto the new tank along with the new filter & do a fish-in cycle if you plan on moving everything at once. Do not leave the fish in a bucket or 10gal tank without a filter! You will wind up with 2 dead fish. By running the old & new filter on the bigger tank, it will cycle quicker but not instantly. It still may take a few weeks for the bacteria to properly develop and you will have to be viligant about checking your water parameters daily & doing pwcs as needed to keep ammonia & nitrite levels as close to zero as possible.

Thanks for the link. The water provides little in the way of bacteria compared to your old filter. I do not honestly believe this will work, however. The bacteria needed take time to grow-this doesnt happen in 24 or 48hrs. You will be starting with bacteria from your small filter but you need enough bacteria for your 46gal to process ammonia & nitrite-not just what is in your 10gal filter. To give you an idea, i did a fishless cycle using pure ammonia on my 50gal with my cycled 20gal filter media & plants from my 20gal. It still took a solid 3 wks for it to completely cycle & all the proper bacteria to grow using established filter media. Just my opinion here but i dont recommend trying the method you are considering.

I think the key on the method that was described in the link, is that not only were they moving water, but they were also filling the new filter with media from a old established filter. Since you won't be able to do that, I also don't think that method is going to work, at least not in the time frame you are thinking.

Since you're not upping the bioload, your old filter would probably be capable of filtering the new tank as/till the new filter established, but this would leave your old tank without a filter.

The one advantage of transferring some of the old tank water is that you won't have to go through a full acclimation for the fish. If you transfer 50% of the water, it will basically just be like a PWC, as long as you add the rest of the water slowly. If you do 100% new water, you need to acclimate the same as a new fish.

Back
Top Bottom