Moving large tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a rule of thumb on many people you need per gallon of empty tank or any dolly type devices one can use to move a large tank? We would like to get a 150 gallon at some point but I am not sure that just two of us can handle it without breaking the tank. Finding helpers to move it might be problematic so I want to figure this out before purchase.

Thanks.

My friend & I moved one of my 180s from the drive way to my back yard in a small dolly
Then we both placed it on top of the stand, which we also moved
& the tank is made of glass so it was pretty heavy

Don't risk anything tho
If you don't feel comfortable picking it up, then by all means find help

As many people as you know to try and help you.

You dont want to drop it.

Better safe than sorry :)

I know my personal limit for helping my husband move tanks is 75 gallons. Yes, I'm a weakling and not afraid to admit it. ;)

I would say it depends on many factors. Are you moving from room to room? Are you moving up or down a flight of stairs? How strong are the people involved? Things like that.

If you're purchasing from a lfs, you should be able to make arrangements with them, at additional cost but no tears, to have it delivered and set up.

My wife and I would be the movers unless we get some help. It would go into the jeep and then out of the jeep to the ground floor of the house. I hear glass 150g tanks are about 350 lbs (not sure if that is correct). We're fairly strong for our size but I'm not sure the two of us can handle something that heavy and awkward without a slip. I was hoping someone would know that you usually need 1 person for say every 40-50 gallons of tank(just an example) or of a type of dolly that we could use that wouldn't break the tank.

Thanks for the responses.

Get your LFS to help

Thats what i do ;)

They dont like me very much though as I made them do it all on there own while I just walked around and told them where to put it :lol:

Spend enough money there you be surprised how far they go to keep you coming back there :)

Awesome. Thanks for the info. My fear is a normal dolly will break the tank. Looks like this might work though.

It got really good reviews for people moving larger heavier items.

Good luck!

Looks like a shoulder dolly/straps might be the safer route for the tank. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom