Multi-animal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if it's possible to create a tank with several different animals in it. For example fish (and snail), a crab, a turtle, a frog or something like that. I've heard different stories about turtles biting fish, fish killing other fish, etc. So are there any species that could live together like that?
I've had aquariums before, first 30-40 liter and then a 70 liter one. I had guppies, swordtails, some strange neon fish (Cardinal Tetra?) and of course a snail;). Im not a complete novice but these fish are not really hard to take care of.. Could i do it?

Welcome to AA!

You could eaisly do something like fish, snail, frog and some shrimp..
But turtles and crabs will eat your other inhabitants for lunch.
And what size of a tank are you planning on using?

Well to get the biggest variety that you can Id go with something like;
Fish: Any community fish.
Shrimp: ghost shrimp
Frog: african dwarf frog (make sure its not an african clawed frog)
Snail: apple snail or mystery snail

Here is a topic where somebody put a blue lobster with some community fish and a snail. You should read it maybe youll want to be as risky as he is lol.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/blue-lobster-in-a-community-tank-111417.html

I was thinking of a 200+ liter tank, not sure if it's enough tho. But aren't there really any small and peaceful turtles out there? Also what would be good community fish for this kind of tank? To be honest there aren't many different fish/frog or shrimp selling shops around here, not sure what will i be able to buy. I'll probably check out the local pet stores in the few next days and ask if they are any good.

Back
Top Bottom