Murky foggy new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldeenTrix9898

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a new 5 gallon Betta fish tank. It's a planted tank with a hanging power filter, an air pump, an a 50w heater. I have one Anubis Nana, one java moss ball, one hornwort,one amazon sword, a small clump of anacharis and some red ludwigia(which I kinda want to switch out in favor of some more anacharis.)
It was set up around 5 days ago, and I have added pure ammonia to the tank to start the cycle. My ammonia tested 0.9 for three days straight, And nitrites were zero. But today I suddenly got 0.15ppm of nitrites but no change in ammonia. Did I do sth wrong? I didn't add any more ammonia after the first time. Should I just wait for the tank to sort itself out?
Another thing is that my tank is starting to go a little cloudy. I heard this was common in new tanks and that it's just a bacterial boom of heterotrophic bacteria (useless in cycling) and that it will go away on it's own. I'm still a little worried though as I'm quite the beginner and this is in fact the first tank that I've attempted to cycle.
Do you think this is the bacterial bloom the internet says it is? Everything inside my tank feels slippery and slimy like it has a thin layer of goo yet I see no slime.

Attachments

• 1426771534979.jpg
    1426771534979.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 41
What are the nitrates? Sometimes too much nitrates can make water cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom