My 20 gallon long tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I will be starting a 20 gallon long tank in a few weeks from now, I have almost everything, but I can't decide on the stock
It will have one 40 gallon filter, an Amazon sword, anubias nana, some crypts, and pool filter sand as substrate, also the background will be painted black
Now, what do you guys recommend as stock? I definitely want a school of neon tetras and a Bolivian ram or two, what would you guys add?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Currently the smaller of my two tanks is a 30 Gallon Breeder. I have Boesemani Rainbowfish, which are a Beautiful Blue and Orange... At least the males. Also have Zebra and Leopard Danios and White Cloud Mountain Minnows... It is a bit of a miss mash, due to the loss of a Goldfish and moving other 2 goldfish to my 75 gallon with the Third.

I don't know anything about Rams and I was disappointed that the Neons require softer and more acidic water than the Rainbows.

When I had a 20 long I did an Asian biotope: betta coccina, cherry barbs, sparkling gourami, kuhli loaches. Maybe you could do a biotope around whatever fish you like best.

Currently the smaller of my two tanks is a 30 Gallon Breeder. I have Boesemani Rainbowfish, which are a Beautiful Blue and Orange... At least the males. Also have Zebra and Leopard Danios and White Cloud Mountain Minnows... It is a bit of a miss mash, due to the loss of a Goldfish and moving other 2 goldfish to my 75 gallon with the Third.

I don't know anything about Rams and I was disappointed that the Neons require softer and more acidic water than the Rainbows.

The rainbow fish sound great! But don't they get too big for a 20 gallon long?

When I had a 20 long I did an Asian biotope: betta coccina, cherry barbs, sparkling gourami, kuhli loaches. Maybe you could do a biotope around whatever fish you like best.

The Kuhli loaches sound like a great idea! Especially since my sand will be light in color

Dwarf rainbows would work though: furcata, gertrudae, threadfin, etc. Pretty fish!

I have read that Kuhlii Loaches require 50 gallons

For kuhlis? Most articles and books I've read recommend either 10 or 20g minimum. They were one of the first fish I kept, had a group that lived for over 8 years!

edit: what part of MD are you from if you don't mind me asking :)

I have 5 kuhlis in my 29g and they are happy as can be, would definitely recommend them, they do some really funny stuff. These are still small, but I have 1 adult. (Second pic)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426459913.036779.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426459991.451000.jpg

I love my fish!!!

I have 5 kuhlis in my 29g and they are happy as can be, would definitely recommend them, they do some really funny stuff. These are still small, but I have 1 adult.

Yup, great fish!

img_3184531_0_06965cfc254bc61d1c627b2ff3d54c0e.jpg

I have a heavily planted 20g long and Peacock Gudgeons were recommended. Very colorful. But the kuhlis are quite playful looking themselves.
I had danios (Longfin blue) but they were spastically active and a little temperamental (stake out "territories" and chase other fish).
I went with ember tetras, CPDs, and Furcata forktail rainbows.

Yea I have 20 Kuhli loaches in my 55 gallon tank, just didn't think about them, they look so good striped! But I can only get the black ones, didn't think about them tho!

I have a heavily planted 20g long and Peacock Gudgeons were recommended. Very colorful. But the kuhlis are quite playful looking themselves.
I had danios (Longfin blue) but they were spastically active and a little temperamental (stake out "territories" and chase other fish).
I went with ember tetras, CPDs, and Furcata forktail rainbows.

Absolutely love my peacocks but they are very laid back compared to the kuhlis.

Hello, I will be starting a 20 gallon long tank in a few weeks from now, I have almost everything, but I can't decide on the stock
It will have one 40 gallon filter, an Amazon sword, anubias nana, some crypts, and pool filter sand as substrate, also the background will be painted black
Now, what do you guys recommend as stock? I definitely want a school of neon tetras and a Bolivian ram or two, what would you guys add?
Thanks

Like you I started a 20-long tank last month. I slowly added what is now 12 Cardinal Tetras, 6 Endler males, and my favorites - 16 Amano Shrimp. To me, that's plenty for a shallow tank even though it's 30" long. I stuck in a Manzanita branch, attached an anubia, planted another in the sand, and a moderate amount of low/medium light plants as my lighting a a Finnex StingRay LED. When the plants have grown/matured, then I'll be better to judge whether I want to add more Endlers or Cardinals. A large school of these is so cool, especially at night.

Starting up a 20-Long FW tank

Sadly, you can't have everything! Several years ago I went directly from a 20 gallon to a 55 gallon tank. Boy that was fun :banghead: I had every compatible community fish I could afford - too many of them and plants. It became my life after work. I spent hours cleaning and doing water changes. I had the best cannister filters, great lighting (too much lighting). I later figured out that I was overfeeding, giving them too many hours of light, and not enough frequent water changes. I'm still tempted to get a bigger tank, but my friends and family would kill me. They saw what I went through.

I don't know which video I attached, or if it will even work, but hopefully you can see how small the plants are (for now). As my LFS guy said, be patient, you won't regret it. I'll probably be able to get away with another 6 or 8 tetras in a few months.

Good luck to ya! GinnyFinny

Guys thanks for all the help! I found a list of fish that I think might be good, I know it's about overcrowded, but I will be running 25 times gph, so here is the list
3 angelfish
1 peacock eel
1 redtail catfish
1 silver arrowana
5 gold gourami a
Does this sound good?

By the way, I was just kidding, sorry I like to joke a lot, hope I didn't make anyone mad :)
So here is the list, sounds like a lot, but I will be running a 50 gallon filter, plants? And some of these fish have a very small bio load, plus I checked on aqadvisor, so here it is
1 Bolivian ram
5 Kuhli loaches
10 neon tetras
1 bn pleco
1 dwarf gourami
5 cherry barbs
2 ballon Molly's
Also one question, will the ram and gourami fight?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom