My 55 cycle log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xwesx1978 said:
Day 9

Ammonia. 4ppm
Nitrite. 2ppm ????
Nitrate. no test

how come i got nitrites and my ammonia failed to drop ? maybe the live water from the eco is messing things up ?

I am not going to try to repeat what I just read on this exactly. I googled ammonia to nitrite proportions. It will explain that they are not directly proportional.

xwesx1978 said:
hmm ok , well at least this means my cycle is on its way

Yea it is. Do you see why I didn't try to interpret that information? Interesting though. Thanks for bringing up the discussion. I learned something already today.

I think you're doing well, nitrites on day 9 is really good. I wouldn't worry about the ammonia drop yet, give it a few more days and see what happens. You're definitely on your way though!

whoever it was that said 20ml was 4ppm in a 55 is very correct
That's good to know, because in another week or two it will be my turn.
Sounds like you have a great start though seeing Nitrites already. Did you add some old media or something to the tank? That seems pretty quick for starting from scratch.

nope no seeded media , believe me i was just as suprised when that test tube turned purple this morning , maybe these bio wheel things really work lol

StuG said:
That's good to know, because in another week or two it will be my turn.
Sounds like you have a great start though seeing Nitrites already. Did you add some old media or something to the tank? That seems pretty quick for starting from scratch.

That is dependant upon the concentration of the ammonia. With the Ace hardware kind, 5 milliliters was the right amount for 4 ppm in my 55 gallon.

That is dependant upon the concentration of the ammonia. With the Ace hardware kind, 5 milliliters was the right amount for 4 ppm in my 55 gallon.

i used the ace hardware and used 20 ml , im starting to think i used to much , those colors are just so close

Day 11

Ammonia. 4ppm
Nitrite. 6ppm
Nitrate. 4ppm

starting to think the live water in the eco is throwing me off

excuse the crappy camera phone pic but heres the drift wood i got
img_1499248_0_fe3014bf470e4af7e48594b071ffb184.jpg

also i got my heater cranked up to 86 is this to hot ?

how does your driftwood stay vertical?
:eek:

the bottom is very narrow. I'm scared it might fall.

Lighting delivered ,set up and holy crap its bright maybe i should have got the 36 inch instead of the 48 lol , I gotta get some timers now

Day 12

Ammonia. 2ppm
Nitrite. 5ppm off the chart
Nitrate. 40ppm

Lots of positive movement today , doing the BB dance :bb:

Day 13

Ammonia. .25ppm
Nitrite. 5ppm off the chart
Nitrate. 40ppm

dosed ammo back up to 4ppm , also a guy from my aquarium club hooked me up with a ton of seeded media so i should be moving a long rather quickly

Day 14

Ammonia. .25ppm down from 4ppm re douse yesterday
Nitrite. 2ppm a little darker then two but not quite 5
Nitrate. 40ppm

gonna re douse ammo back up to 4

I cant believe this is going so smoothly

Looks awesome :). Make sure you're keeping a sharp eye on pH at this point. If you see any drops, do a big pwc to restore the value of the tap water.

Day 15

Ammonia. 0ppm down from 4ppm re douse yesterday
Nitrite. 2ppm a little darker then two but not quite 5
Nitrate. 40ppm
PH 7.0

hoping to see those trites startdropping any day now , its putting down 4ppm ammo in 24 hours now

Day 16

Ammonia. 0ppm down from 4ppm re douse yesterday
Nitrite. .25 ppm
Nitrate. 40ppm
PH 7.0

nitrites are dropping , looks like i should be done in a few days time

Back
Top Bottom