My 90 Gallon Saga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so, I thought I would start a new thread on my 90 gallon tank.

As many of you may remember I have had many problems going on with this tank but now I think I am done.
To summarize... I started a fishless cycle on 21 Jan and finished it on 16 Feb (with the help of an angels pluss filter). I then added a bunch of fish from various locations. turns out my rainbows had columnaris and it spread to some of my other fish. treated with lowering the temp, salt and maracyn two. then my GBR got gill flukes so I started treating with prazipro. the prazipro worked, but my columnaris was not completely gone as I had originally thougt. So I started the tank on kanamycin. I do believe that worked but in the process it started harming my BB. The columnaris is now gone I am sure. Then I also found one case of anchor worms so then added cyropro. I am now done with all of that. WHEW!!! :eek: that is more than enough for me!!

so now that I am done with the meds my BB are in a bit of a shock and I think my fish are ready to be in a chemical free environment! I have my QT tank set up and have some new inhabitants getting ready to go into my clean tank when the time is right. I am planning on keeping them in QT for 4 weeks (I have learned what happens when you have sick fish in your tank!). This should give my tank time to be ready for my new guys. as of now I finally have my ammonia back to 0 and I am still kicking out some nitrites. but since I am done with the meds I can really focus on lots of water changes as needed. hopefully it will not take by BB too long to take care of my nitrites now that the meds are gone.

I did a large water change on the tank today and plan on running carbon starting on monday. I am running two Aquaclear 110s on the tank. My plan is to take some of the extra angels plus filter media out, put the carbon in and run this in both filters for a week then put the angels filter media back in. does this sound right? I know I need to keep the old filter media in water while I do this. is it fine to just let it sit in a bucket of tank water? do i need to do anything else? should I dose the bucket with a little bit of ammonia to help my filters keep going? any advice on the filter media / running carbon part of this whole thing would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Heather! I am glad this saga is finally winding down! The ac110s run @400-500gph, correct? I actually don't have any ac's so I'm just checking. The last med was the cyropro which is an insecticide. Carbon absorbs insecticides easily. There is no need to run the new carbon longer than 24hrs- if you want to be sure, after 12hrs, do another big wc & replace the carbon again with new carbon & run this for another 12hrs. Done! Place the cycled media in bucket of conditioned water (not from tank with meds) & keep an airstone/ bubbler in it to keep bb happy. No need for ammonia. There will be some trace meds in the cycled media- nothing to worry about! What little there is will be removed & diluted to nothing with wcs. I'm probably missing something here but I think I hit the basics- good luck!!! :)

Wow Heather way to pull through! YIKES! I am glad that everything is settling down with your tank. Good Luck in the future. I have a quarantine tank but have gone back and forth about weather or not we were going to use one as it takes us to 5 tanks in the house! BUT given your saga I will definitely keep it running. Sending your fish and bacteria healthy vibes!

Back
Top Bottom