My betta just died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't believe it :bawl:
My betta, Benny, had been sulking lately, and today I noticed some color loss. He was acting otherwise normal, and eating. I've had him for a year and a month. Tonight, he hung right under the surface of the water, not moving. I treated another betta that did that (a while ago) with Jungle Fungus Eliminator and it helped that betta. I was just getting the QT bowl out when Benny swam on his side, in circles, right under the water surface. He then landed nose-first in the gravel and stayed there. :bawl: Does anyone know what disease these symptoms could point to?

I know this is weird, but he started acting "sulky" a week or so after my other betta died, about 3 weeks ago. (By "sulking", I mean that he didn't seem as active as usual, but really nothing else I could pinpoint.) They could see each other from the corners of their tanks. They had their little "routine" and maybe Benny died of a broken heart. Yes, I know :roll: -- so while he was "sulking", I checked parameters, temperature, made sure he was eating ok, checked for obvious signs of disease, etc. He just didn't have dropsy, bloat, finrot, or any other outside symptoms. I don't feed them on Sunday, and he ate quite greedily yesterday (Saturday). I've been watching him, and tonight was the first sign (hanging at the water surface) that I recognized to try and treat, but it was too late. I've never had a fish that died so fast like that. Of course, it may not be such a mystery -- I did get the two bettas at the same time last December (2003), so they are the same age.

Goodbye, my little Benny :angel:

I'm sorry to hear about Benny, An t-iasg :( But I'm sure that he had the best life a betta could have asked for with you.

I can't offer any suggestions as to what my have killed him so quickly, though. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Can fish display "human" agnst? I know at times life partners go into deep depression when they lose their partner and subsequently, they go on to join them. I'm sorry to hear about Benny but I'm sure that in the 13 months he lived with you he was well cared for and extremely happy.

Sorry to hear about your loss :( . I'm sure he had a great life!

I just got my first betta today! It's a female, and she looks terrible from being in the shop, but I will make sure that she recovers and can live happily. She's looking allot better already, her colours are great, she's blue/purple/red. Her fins are torn though.......She's in my 30 gallon. I bought her so she can police my 2 keyhole cichlids (one chases the other all the time), and I'm sure she'll do a great job at it!

I'm so sorry to heart about Benny too.
It really sounds like he was at the end of his normal lifespan and it was just his time. Do you have any idea how old he was when you got him?

Thanks, QTOFFER. I've read about that "death spiral" but I've read nothing as to what disease that may pinpoint. It was a little unnerving because I'd never seen it before, and although I watched Benny carefully, I couldn't really justify a need for meds until it was too late. He would hide behind the sponge filter for 15 minutes, then come out and swim all around, like nothing was wrong. He often did sleep or rest for 5 minutes at a time. It was very easy to get pictures of him because he did stay in one place for a while.

I got them at the hatchery that I go to, about a week apart. The hatchery owner doesn't breed bettas (he did have a local breeder bring bettas in, but that person stopped by the time I found the hatchery), but he gets them from an importer, who gets them from the Far East somewhere. The hatchery owner goes to the importer's place and picks out the best-looking bettas. He showed me the little tiny bag they are shipped in! 8O He estimates that they are 6 months old, which would make mine about a year and a half to a year and 8 months when they died. I think both Benny and Kenny were just at the end of their normal lifespan, like you said.

An t-iasg, we chatted that night and I was wondering if you fully cleaned out the tank, and how the new bettas are doing.

Hi Menagerie,
The two new bettas are still in bowls. Today I got my DrsFosterSmith order with some new silk plants and a new sponge filter. I was planning to set up a 3rd 5 gallon tank, so that's the reason for the new things. I probably will still get a 3rd betta, but that will wait awhile. But in the meantime, I'll use the new sponge filter for the new betta, and set up the empty 5 gallon tomorrow for him. Then I'll clean Benny's tank (I plan to bleach it) and it will probably sit for awhile until I get a new betta.

Today I was at the hatchery again! (that will be another topic!) But the pleco tank that I thought was stalled on the cycle showed some nitrites at the hatchery, but my tests still show nothing. I guess it's time for new tests!

Back
Top Bottom