My cycle is not complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cypilk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, i'm starting my fourth week in my new tank and I was wondering how far my cycle is. I just came home from my 2-day weekend and I checked all of my levels. Here they are :

Ammonia = .5 ppm
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0

It seems like I am not progressing in my cycle at all. Hmm, there are still 7 Danios 6 Tiger Barbs and 3 Neon Tetras, and I keep my ammonia levels under .35 ppm. So, I would be changing about 40-50 percent water everytime I change my water, and I do this every 1.5 days. I put about a half of a capfull of prime (25 gallon tank) each time and every sunday, I put in 2.5 capfulls of stress zyme.

Any idea why nothing is happening?
My guess is that the de-chlorine is mixing with the stress zyme.

Don't know if it's the de-chlorine is mixing with the stress zyme, but you might just be having a very long cycle. I've been cycling for 4 weeks now and I'm still at Ammonia 0.5ppm and haven't seen any nitrites yet. So your not alone in this! It is quite aggrivating never seeing any nitrites, but I've learned that you just have to be patient.

I'd add a full capful of Prime with each water change. That will eliminate the ammonia from being toxic that remains in the tank after a PWC along with dechloring the water.

What are you using for testing your water parameters?

Did you seed your tank with anything already containing beneficial bacteria (filter media, decorations, live plants, etc)?

I'm using the master test kit that everybody recommended to me. Hm.. as for seeding my tank , I didn't use anything at all. I started straight from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom