My filter has carbon! (uh oh?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
Hi, I'm doing a fishless cycle (day um 3) and using the filter my aquarium came with (a 12 gal Marineland Eclipse bow front). I've had the tank set up for about 3 weeks, initially had fish but they died last week, but am using the same filter.

I'm reading more on fishless cycling and read that carbon isn't good. So I just researched my filter and ack!, it has carbon in the pad! What do I do now?!

Thank you!

Carbon should not mess with the cycle. The reason most people do not use it is because it can remove vital micronutrients and trace elements. In most tanks adequate water changes will do what is needed.

Hi, I'm doing a fishless cycle (day um 3) and using the filter my aquarium came with (a 12 gal Marineland Eclipse bow front). I've had the tank set up for about 3 weeks, initially had fish but they died last week, but am using the same filter.

I'm reading more on fishless cycling and read that carbon isn't good. So I just researched my filter and ack!, it has carbon in the pad! What do I do now?!

Thank you!

It's easy enough to remove the carbon from the cartridge. Just make small enough cut/hole on the back side of the cartridge and shake/pick the carbon out. Carbon itself isn't bad, but after a couple three weeks it will start to leech junk back into the tank (that's the bad part). You can reuse that cartridge until it falls apart if you remove the carbon, just wash it (after cycle is complete) in used tank water after a PWC and put it back in service.

It's easy enough to remove the carbon from the cartridge. Just make small enough cut/hole on the back side of the cartridge and shake/pick the carbon out. Carbon itself isn't bad, but after a couple three weeks it will start to leech junk back into the tank (that's the bad part). You can reuse that cartridge until it falls apart if you remove the carbon, just wash it (after cycle is complete) in used tank water after a PWC and put it back in service.

Thanks so much! So I can just cut it and take it all out (I'm guessing if I miss some it's going to go all over the tank)? Also is it OK to do this now or should I wait? Is it going to mess with the cycle if I do it now? Not that it's progressed that far in 3 days, but I did have fish in there for 3 weeks too.

Also I have a small 5 gal hex tank not being used. I'm thinking of keeping it for a QT tank in an emergency but haven't decided whether I want to (or need to) keep it running and cycled in the interim. I'd like some extra mature media on hand anyway, though. Could I stuff some sponges or something in my current 12 gal filter to have on hand once the tank cycles? There are some extra spaces I could probably stuff a sponge or two into. And does it matter what type of sponge or should I go with ceramic tubes or something else? Also the sponges won't be the same filter of the 5 gal hex but I'm guessing I can stick it all in the filter space and it would still work?

I was thinking something like pre-filter sponges, or the Bio Sponge or filter foam. This is the pad (with carbon inside) that the 5 gal hex would normally take (same as my current 12 gal, just smaller)

Thanks! You guys are :angel:

Thanks so much! So I can just cut it and take it all out (I'm guessing if I miss some it's going to go all over the tank)? Also is it OK to do this now or should I wait? Is it going to mess with the cycle if I do it now? Not that it's progressed that far in 3 days, but I did have fish in there for 3 weeks too.

Also I have a small 5 gal hex tank not being used. I'm thinking of keeping it for a QT tank in an emergency but haven't decided whether I want to (or need to) keep it running and cycled in the interim. I'd like some extra mature media on hand anyway, though. Could I stuff some sponges or something in my current 12 gal filter to have on hand once the tank cycles? There are some extra spaces I could probably stuff a sponge or two into. And does it matter what type of sponge or should I go with ceramic tubes or something else? Also the sponges won't be the same filter of the 5 gal hex but I'm guessing I can stick it all in the filter space and it would still work?

I was thinking something like pre-filter sponges, or the Bio Sponge or filter foam. This is the pad (with carbon inside) that the 5 gal hex would normally take (same as my current 12 gal, just smaller)

Thanks! You guys are :angel:

I'd wait till you're done cycling before messing with the filter myself.

Can you put the hex tanks filter on your 12g? If so you can instant cycle the hex in 10 minutes later on.

I'd wait till you're done cycling before messing with the filter myself.

Can you put the hex tanks filter on your 12g? If so you can instant cycle the hex in 10 minutes later on.

aaah, good idea. I did toss the old one (I kept it on top of the new filter for a while but then tossed it, dumb I know) but I did buy a replacement for the smaller tank when I bought it, so I could just maybe try laying it on top of the other (it's half the size of the current one but still bulky and it has a stiff bottom so it won't be as easy to fit in there as say some sponges but I can lay it on top if you think that would work).

Ok I won't take out the carbon or put the extra filter in yet then. Thanks Mr. Limpet (again and again and again... someday I'll help you, I swear :D)

Well I'm an idiot and I think I messed it all up

So I couldn't wait, which is my problem, impatience.

So tonight like a dope I took out the filter, tore a couple of holes in the filter and shook out as much carbon as I could
Problem 1: the tray under the filter pad is broken up into sections, so one hole wouldn't get out all the carbon, so I made another hole. I got out as much as I could but it being wet and the filter being broken up into little trays etc I could't get it all [pic below]
Problem 2: now I have little pieces of carbon floating in the tank [pic below, showing a corner of the tank with some carbon floating in the bubbles and even some pieces resting on the decor - and oh yeah LOTS of bubbles on the surface, is that normal?]
Problem 3: unrelated, but tonight I noticed the water turning a bit murky/cloudy, like a white cloudy stuff in there. Is that good or bad? Last night I did add a flake of ground up fish food, heard that might help, not sure if that caused the cloudiness, wasn't that way last night

So what do I do now? My filter has holes in it, it still has some carbon pieces inside and now I have carbon in the tank itself and my water is cloudy. :facepalm:

I also did a full API test before I lost my mind and started cutting things up:
Ammonia 4.0
High range ph: 7.4
Ph a darker blue than the chart so probably a bit more than 7.6
nitrate 0 :mad:
nitrite 0

Maybe this is the universe's way of telling me I should leave fish alone :fish2:

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 336
  • carbon1.jpg
    carbon1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 75
So I couldn't wait, which is my problem, impatience.

So tonight like a dope I took out the filter, tore a couple of holes in the filter and shook out as much carbon as I could
Problem 1: the tray under the filter pad is broken up into sections, so one hole wouldn't get out all the carbon, so I made another hole. I got out as much as I could but it being wet and the filter being broken up into little trays etc I could't get it all [pic below]
Problem 2: now I have little pieces of carbon floating in the tank [pic below, showing a corner of the tank with some carbon floating in the bubbles and even some pieces resting on the decor - and oh yeah LOTS of bubbles on the surface, is that normal?]
Problem 3: unrelated, but tonight I noticed the water turning a bit murky/cloudy, like a white cloudy stuff in there. Is that good or bad? Last night I did add a flake of ground up fish food, heard that might help, not sure if that caused the cloudiness, wasn't that way last night

So what do I do now? My filter has holes in it, it still has some carbon pieces inside and now I have carbon in the tank itself and my water is cloudy. :facepalm:

I also did a full API test before I lost my mind and started cutting things up:
Ammonia 4.0
High range ph: 7.4
Ph a darker blue than the chart so probably a bit more than 7.6
nitrate 0 :mad:
nitrite 0

Maybe this is the universe's way of telling me I should leave fish alone :fish2:

Yeah, getting it all out of the filter is a biggie. Use your net, hands, whatever and get out as much as you can. Is the front part of the filter pad still intact? If so, I think you're OK and i don't think it'll be an issue with your cycle and don't worry too much about the pH during a cycle, it'll jump all over the place.

I think it's the universe teaching you a lesson in patience lol.

Never give up. Never surrender. - Jason Nesmith: Galaxy Quest

Yeah, getting it all out of the filter is a biggie. Use your net, hands, whatever and get out as much as you can. Is the front part of the filter pad still intact? If so, I think you're OK and i don't think it'll be an issue with your cycle and don't worry too much about the pH during a cycle, it'll jump all over the place.

I think it's the universe teaching you a lesson in patience lol.

Never give up. Never surrender. - Jason Nesmith: Galaxy Quest

Well I ripped two holes in, one on either end (pics attached). I opened up the holes for the pic so you could see. But if I close the gaps and then it looks like there aren't any holes in it, so it is ok to leave it that way? I know I still have some carbon in there, is that OK? Obviously I can't really rinse it well without having aquarium water which I don't have unless I do a small pwc. But I dont want to mess with the tank any more than I have already.

The backside of the filter is plastic with little vents in it, so I couldn't rip the filter back there.

:nono: I''m my own worst enemy lol

Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on the cloudiness and extra bubbles? Are either anything to worry about? After I get the extra stray carbon out of the water I'm going to leave the blasted thing alone. :whistle:

Attachments

• filterholes.jpg
    filterholes.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 72
  • filterclose.jpg
    filterclose.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom