My first 20 gallon freshwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh my bad
Sorry, I re-read that sentence and it was ambiguous. I did give away the common pleco and the goldfish to someone my lfs store knew had a 175 gallon tank. So they 're happily swimming away in their new home, and I have their old 20 gallon.

If I were u, don't get the Mickey Mouse platy or minus the amount of tetras to 4-5. I would get neons as they get only 1" max. Most others will grow bigger than 1.5". Does ur lfs actually sell rcs?
The independent lfs that recommended against fishless cycling has rcs and other freshwater shrimp.

Today I got my 4 cory cats. Lfs says green cories, but I looked them up when I got home and they might be bronzes. Meh, I love them already. They are happily going around the driftwood and searching the sand already!

So how about I ditch the mickey platies and go for a school of tetra, about 8? I'm wary of the neons; I was looking for another small tetra species and researching online, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
The independent lfs that recommended against fishless cycling has rcs and other freshwater shrimp.

Today I got my 4 cory cats. Lfs says green cories, but I looked them up when I got home and they might be bronzes. Meh, I love them already. They are happily going around the driftwood and searching the sand already!

So how about I ditch the mickey platies and go for a school of tetra, about 8? I'm wary of the neons; I was looking for another small tetra species and researching online, but does anyone have any suggestions?

I love bronze Cory's. I think having 8 tetras in an already stocked 20 gal is really pushing. I think 5 or less tetras is the max. There r other smaller tetras like glow light, black neon, cardinal, and others that I forgot. Neons and the glowlights r prob the smallest.

I believe ember tetras are very small, like less then an inch, and are a nice red colour if you're into that.

So I think I will try to find either ember or glowlight tetras and get a school of 6. I like an even number. I'm weird. Lol.

But I will wait until things settle. I will water test and see if I need to do a pwc today.

I'll keep you posted! Right now, everyone survived the night and the cats are happily scooting around. I've named them Moe, Larry, Curly, and Shemp. I don't know which is which but I liked the allusion to the antic Stooges.

So I think I will try to find either ember or glowlight tetras and get a school of 6. I like an even number. I'm weird. Lol.

But I will wait until things settle. I will water test and see if I need to do a pwc today.

I'll keep you posted! Right now, everyone survived the night and the cats are happily scooting around. I've named them Moe, Larry, Curly, and Shemp. I don't know which is which but I liked the allusion to the antic Stooges.

Lol. Is ur tank planted? If it is planted with live plants, that can help with the overstocking rule as live plants allow fish to not feel too crowded.

Yes, its planted. I have a big amazon sword, a java fern, a moss ball (small), some bacopus carolinia, and a narrow leaf chain sword that looks sickly. I was thinking about getting some water sprite. I have a t8 15w 18 inch bulb.

Parameters today: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 15-20 (I can't tell which color comes closest), pH 7.6, hard pH is 7.8. I will probably do a 20% pwc tonight or tomorrow.

Is a co2 system absolutely necessary? I have Seachem flourish excel and a bottle of co2 booster. I have dosed with flourish excel (before I put fish in, I did it full strength) and I dosed a half dose after my first pwc (when I got the guppies).

Does anyone have a diy system that they use (if one is necessary)? I will probably get a water sprite. I read that they do well in absorbing nitrate; any suggestions welcome.

I'm so happy to have found this site and you guys. New aquariums can be intimidating!

Is a co2 system absolutely necessary? I have Seachem flourish excel and a bottle of co2 booster. I have dosed with flourish excel (before I put fish in, I did it full strength) and I dosed a half dose after my first pwc (when I got the guppies).

Does anyone have a diy system that they use (if one is necessary)? I will probably get a water sprite. I read that they do well in absorbing nitrate; any suggestions welcome.

I'm so happy to have found this site and you guys. New aquariums can be intimidating!

All the plants u have right now do not need it. Out of all the plants in history, only a fraction actually require co2. Otherwise, co2 only helps plants grow faster. Water sprites r awesome plants. They do absorb nitrate and also help reduce the amount of algae by absorbing vital nutrients that algae needs.
Also since ur tank is planted, 6 tetras should be comfortable.

Al plants require some co2, but not a co2 system. co2 is absorbed through surface agitation and the surface of the water. co2 is taken in during photosynthesis, along with light and water. Then glucose is created (which plants use as food) and oxygen is created as a byproduct, then expelled through the leaves.
There were many other incorrect or invalid points made by others on this thread, so I would like to correct them, and add other missing information:
1. Platys need to school
2. You don't need any more guppies.
3. If you want to add tetras, then you need to remove the platys
4. Tetras NEED at least 6, 5 if you are absolutely desperate.
5. I would do:
- 4 corys
- 6 guppies
- 5 platies OR 4 platies and a centerpiece fish (such as a dwarf gourami, ram, etc.)
- and the inverts that you wanted to add

OR you could do this:

- 4 corys
- 6 guppys
- 6-8 tetras (varies by tetra) OR 6 small-medium tetras and one centerpiece fish
- and again, the inverts you wanted to add.

Trust me on all of this. It is either from my personal experience or from the experience of others.
You can't add any tetras without taking out the platys.

Al plants require some co2, but not a co2 system. co2 is absorbed through surface agitation and the surface of the water. co2 is taken in during photosynthesis, along with light and water. Then glucose is created (which plants use as food) and oxygen is created as a byproduct, then expelled through the leaves.
There were many other incorrect or invalid points made by others on this thread, so I would like to correct them, and add other missing information:
1. Platys need to school
2. You don't need any more guppies.
3. If you want to add tetras, then you need to remove the platys
4. Tetras NEED at least 6, 5 if you are absolutely desperate.
5. I would do:
- 4 corys
- 6 guppies
- 5 platies OR 4 platies and a centerpiece fish (such as a dwarf gourami, ram, etc.)
- and the inverts that you wanted to add

OR you could do this:

- 4 corys
- 6 guppys
- 6-8 tetras (varies by tetra) OR 6 small-medium tetras and one centerpiece fish
- and again, the inverts you wanted to add.

Trust me on all of this. It is either from my personal experience or from the experience of others.
You can't add any tetras without taking out the platys.

Platys don't need to school. They prefer it but don't have to. I have kept tetras in groups of 4 and they lived for quite a long time.

Went and got water sprite today, a big one! It looks great. Decided to wait on new fish, but was it hard looking at them all and not bringing anything home. I got a kH and gH testing kit. My gh is 120 and kh is 80, and I'm not sure what that all means. :D

Last edited:
Went and got water sprite today, a big one! It looks great. Decided to wait on new fish, but was it hard looking at them all and not bringing anything home. I got a kH and gH testing kit. My gh is 120 and kh is 80, and I'm not sure what that all means. :D

So u r going to put the water sprite in when u get the new fish? I have no clue what "gh and kh" is.

Water sprite is a plant that is supposed to suck up nitrates. I planted it today. It's a tall plant so it gives some depth to the tank. I will put in fish in a week or two I guess. I need to make sure the cycle can build up to keep up.

Here's the tank (if I can make this thing upload).

ForumRunner_20130525_225754.jpg

Gh and kh measure water hardness and I think buffering capacity of the water. I think that if you have enough calcium the water won't be acidic? Please, someone who knows more, please chime in. I just really learned about it today.

FYI the water sprite is the tall plant in the right side (as you face the tank) in the background.

Water sprite is a plant that is supposed to suck up nitrates. I planted it today. It's a tall plant so it gives some depth to the tank. I will put in fish in a week or two I guess. I need to make sure the cycle can build up to keep up.

Here's the tank (if I can make this thing upload).

Nice tank. That water sprite is huge! Where did u get it? A private lfs or a chain lfs?

At a private chain. They are good at carrying stuff petsmart and petco don't.

It was only $6, too!

Back
Top Bottom