my first aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rainbow shark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am curently starting my first tank. It is two and a half monthes old. I have a planted 10 gallon curved front tall with; 1 juvinile rainbow shark, 3 cory cats, and 4 zebra danios. I am thinking of getting a bamboo shrimp and a snail, what does anyone think.:)

bamboo shrimps need to be in a well established aquarium because they are filter feeders. if you add it now it would starve to death probably.

Yeah, one mystery/apple snail would be cool. Apple snails get bigger than the mystery snails, but they are from the same family. The mystery snails get about the size of a golfball, I have 3 of them, and I LOVE them! They poop A LOT though!

and just warning you apple snails can multiply. That is something that is pretty common with freshwater snails. I picked one up for my cichlid tank because it is pretty hard, and with no plants, or other snails, one day there were many snails in the tank. They slowly got bigger and bigger and now they are lots of snails lol. Anyways I think it is rare to not have snails reproduce once they are added, but hey, I like snails as long as they don't outnumber the gravel...

just wanna check and make sure that you do know that the rainbow shark will need at least a 50g tank. I know you said juvie, so im assuming you know you'll need to upgrade, just wanted to make sure

Apple/mystery snails lay eggs above the water line, so you will be able to get them out in case you do get one that has been bred.

Back
Top Bottom